Ask Your Mom how Much Your Birth Cost

I have an OB as a client. Good sized practice but not huge. He has one of the lowest delivery complication rates in the area he claims.

He gets sued 6-7 times per year on average.
Told me about a $500k settlement for a natural birth that went "perfect" in his words. The only issue was bleeding still 3 days after.... he told them it could last up to 3-4 days.

Insurance company spoke to the doctor about it for all of 10 minutes. Settled the next day. Said it was cheaper to settle than go to court.

I have an OB as a client. Good sized practice but not huge. He has one of the lowest delivery complication rates in the area he claims.

He gets sued 6-7 times per year on average.
Told me about a $500k settlement for a natural birth that went "perfect" in his words. The only issue was bleeding still 3 days after.... he told them it could last up to 3-4 days.

Insurance company spoke to the doctor about it for all of 10 minutes. Settled the next day. Said it was cheaper to settle than go to court.

Needed: Another kind of price negotiation, tort reform.

Needed: Another kind of price negotiation, tort reform.

The fix is very simple

- Create a medical review board in each state for medical malpractice lawsuits.

- Require all suits to be reviewed first.

- If the reasons behind the suit are not medically sound. Tag that suit as "recoverable expenses" for the Defendant (for the doctor).

- If the person suing loses, the individual is responsible for 50% of the doctors expenses. The lawyer representing them is responsible for the other 50%.

You would see a drastic reduction in malpractice suits.

The fix is very simple

- Create a medical review board in each state for medical malpractice lawsuits.

- Require all suits to be reviewed first.

- If the reasons behind the suit are not medically sound. Tag that suit as "recoverable expenses" for the Defendant (for the doctor).

- If the person suing loses, the individual is responsible for 50% of the doctors expenses. The lawyer representing them is responsible for the other 50%.

You would see a drastic reduction in malpractice suits.

The last is a horrible idea, and would never pass anyway as it punishes attorneys.

Also, what if the person doesn't have the assets to recover, they are now free to sue without worry? Or do they have to have assets or post a bond to be able to sue? Then no one has to worry about a poor person ever suing for medical malpractice.

Also, and this is again why this is such a horrible idea. Most attorneys are doing this on contingency. That means they are fronting all the money to sue, to hire experts, etc. So they are already taking a financial hit when they lose.

Back