Asking for a job

Dexes

Expert
Due to certain circumstances I'm facing in a office I recently started working in, I will be leaving the office. I have scoped out some agent's offices in my area that look established, well organized and reputable. They don't have job opening posted in job boards currently. What is the best approach to walking into an agent's office, talking to them and asking for a job?

Due to certain circumstances I'm facing in a office I recently started working in, I will be leaving the office. I have scoped out some agent's offices in my area that look established, well organized and reputable. They don't have job opening posted in job boards currently. What is the best approach to walking into an agent's office, talking to them and asking for a job?
For starters, wear a short skirt. :yes:

Good luck.:)

If you're pursuing a revenue-generating role (ie. sales), then your best way to ask for a job in our industry... is to walk in, introduce yourself with your resume (include your licensing info either on the resume, or attach a copy of your license), and ask to talk to the agent in charge of hiring. Have a conversation and don't be afraid to ask if they know of any other agents who may be hiring for a similar capacity. Ask for permission to use their name when you go see them.

Even if they're not actively looking, they may hire a "go-getter" who isn't afraid to ask for what they want - including asking for a referral.

Sales isn't (shouldn't be) a cost for an agency. It's a necessary expense to increase business... and it requires ambition. Showcase that ambition with skill while you're looking for what you want... and I bet someone might create a position for you.

[QUOTE="Dexes, post: 1251758, member: 87307" What is the best approach to walking into an agent's office, talking to them and asking for a job?[/QUOTE]

I am an independent agent, and got into my current office, as well as the last office I was in, in the way I will explain below.

I called every independent agency within a distance I was comfortable commuting. For you of course it would be sf offices. Driving is one of the most high fatality, and expensive (car maintenance, depreciation, and gas) things that most people will do, so I hate commuting if I can avoid it. So, once I had a list of every office within the commute radius I was comfortable with, I cold called them and told them my situation. Once I started getting a list together of offices I was interested in, I started doing heavy homework on the owners. Calling for references, doing research online, insurance violations, Yelp! reviews, BBB, asking others in the industry, etc. There was one thing I should have done before I went to this office, which I suggest you or anyone else should do. All worked out very well for me, but I should have spent a day hanging out at the office before hanging my shingle there, seeing how things were run. Ethics, office politics, office morale, stress level, etc.

For starters, wear a short skirt. :yes:

Good luck.:)

Goillini52, what is Dexes if a dude? Still the same answer, lol?:jiggy:

If you're pursuing a revenue-generating role (ie. sales), then your best way to ask for a job in our industry... is to walk in, introduce yourself with your resume (include your licensing info either on the resume, or attach a copy of your license), and ask to talk to the agent in charge of hiring. Have a conversation and don't be afraid to ask if they know of any other agents who may be hiring for a similar capacity. Ask for permission to use their name when you go see them.

Even if they're not actively looking, they may hire a "go-getter" who isn't afraid to ask for what they want - including asking for a referral.

Sales isn't (shouldn't be) a cost for an agency. It's a necessary expense to increase business... and it requires ambition. Showcase that ambition with skill while you're looking for what you want... and I bet someone might create a position for you.

Great point. Show some spunk. Cold calling them and researching them will do a lot of that, but DHK has a really good point. That is one of the most valuable assets a salesperson can have. And if the owner/hiring manager doesn't value that, you probably don't want to do sales for them.

Last edited:

I am definitely going to do that. I posted the other day about my office situation. I'm currently waiting on my license approval, it was submitted about 7 business days ago (California DOI).

I think I saw that Dexes is a dudette. :yes:

If not...same advice......(think Bruce Jenner). Anything goes in California. :confused:

Looks like I'm out of place in this thread, you're all from the "Left Coast". :laugh:

Nope I'm a male. Don't get confused with yourself. I can tell you fantasize since you brought it up.:arghh::arghh:

Latest posts

Back