Assessing LEP

kstein

Guru
1000 Post Club
I know the answer but want to double check. Client is on disability A/B since 2011 and had original Medicare only, no Rx coverage. They now turn 65 and buy a MAPD that has Rx coverage.

They have an LEP of roughly $20/mo correct? The LEP isn't forgiven BC they are now t65 right??

I know the answer but want to double check. Client is on disability A/B since 2011 and had original Medicare only, no Rx coverage. They now turn 65 and buy a MAPD that has Rx coverage.

They have an LEP of roughly $20/mo correct? The LEP isn't forgiven BC they are now t65 right??

Yes, I believe the LEP gets "reset" at 65, so they will be fine....Im not 100% sure, but pretty sure.

The count of uncovered months will reset upon turning 65 (meaning that the LEP is shed as well).

From the CMS guidance on creditable coverage and the LEP:

An individual who is entitled to Medicare prior to turning age 65 (e.g., those who were entitled based on disability), will have a new or subsequent Part D IEP when they become entitled to Medicare based on age. If an enrollee attains age 65 while enrolled in a Part D plan and has been paying an LEP, his/her LEP will end on the day before his/her subsequent IEP begins, which is three months prior to the month s/he attains age 65.

Back