Assurant Jan 09 Changes

I find it interesting that Time announces rate decreases several times during the year yet still can't put forth competitive rates. Most carriers figured out some time ago it is less expensive all around to use fewer plan options.

I find it interesting that Time announces rate decreases several times during the year yet still can't put forth competitive rates. Most carriers figured out some time ago it is less expensive all around to use fewer plan options.

Actually, Assurant is competitive in one state that I'm licensed - SC. I had an older SC client(husband and wife) contact me yesterday, to see if we could move them, after he got his rate increase, and I reviewed every plan with each carrier in my port and apples to apples Assurant had them beat for his age, health etc.

The highest was GR, and if I'm not mistaken that was a SC company initially. GR must be competitive in some states judging from the positive press that they receive on this board, but the plans for the states that I write are just lame and overpriced. I just can't ever find a good reason to use them.

Agreed: Why so many agents by default sell GR about 80% of the time is beyond me...I mean how in the world do agents sell the GR riders time and time again? GR riders EVERYTHING, unless you live in states like Michigan. Why o tell me why then does GR get the business 80% of the time..I use them less and less and less....Yes, they do pay their claims if they didn't happen to RIDER your condition when they decided to insure you...How about a bit of flexibility in underwriting like Assurant...I would rather offer a client a CSD like Assuant (even though sometimes ridiculously high) than NO coverage at all like GR...And how about that recorded line that beeps when you call GR, that makes it fun calling them - getting an incessant beep in your ear only to have them tell you they are going to RIDER all pre - ex, now that is nice. I call them as little as possible.

Agreed: Why so many agents by default sell GR about 80% of the time is beyond me...I mean how in the world do agents sell the GR riders time and time again? GR riders EVERYTHING, unless you live in states like Michigan. And how about that recorded line that beeps when you call GR, that makes it fun calling them - getting an incessant beep in your ear only to have them tell you they are going to RIDER all pre - ex

I will do about a third of my new business with GR this year (60-70 cases paid for by end of year), and my experience couldn't be any more polar opposite.

The number of ridered cases could be counted on less than one hand, and yes, they can rider here in Florida.

As for the "incessant beep", if you do ten cases a year with any carrier - that's the level of service you're going to get. I get all the service I need, promptly and efficiently - with no beeps.

I will do about a third of my new business with GR this year (60-70 cases paid for by end of year), and my experience couldn't be any more polar opposite.

The number of ridered cases could be counted on less than one hand, and yes, they can rider here in Florida.

As for the "incessant beep", if you do ten cases a year with any carrier - that's the level of service you're going to get. I get all the service I need, promptly and efficiently - with no beeps.

Coming from you, that says a lot. The UW and pricing must be a lot different where you're doing bitness.

Moonlight, I'm glad I don't take your replies personally - regardless of how crass you are I still find most of your posts helpful - and I say that with all sincerity! Regardless of how GR underwrites with you, they still rider EVERYTHING here so please don't take this wrong: I don't care personally who writes more cases than me, or the most policies on the forum - everybody can claim THEY have the biggest swinging dick. Doesn't impress me. I've been kicked in the balls multiple times by jackasses in the industry more times than I can count and I still am in the game. Just makes me stronger.

GR has always been based in Indianapolis.

Time has pockets in GA but they are few & far between. They do seem to be more competitive in general on over age 60.

When you understand riders, GR is better than most. But I have debated that too many times to fight that battle again. Of course most agents don't understand riders and how they work so I can appreciate the reluctance to offer something you can't explain.

Right now GR is not at the price point they need to write business in GA . . . at least not with my clients. I have probably placed 20 cases with them this year . . . way down from previous years, but enough that they still call me from time to time.

And I still like Humana, but for now Aetna has the best value as long as I can get my client thru underwriting.

I don't write more than a handful of major medicals a year, at most...(write mostly med-supps, FE, cancer, PDP, etc.). I'm licensed w/Assurant. Just had a man call me that was looking for coverage on his wife. She's a retired school teacher from Duval county Florida. They've moved over here in the Florida panhandle. She has, what he calls a cadillac plan, with BC/BS for $468 a month. I looked up Assurant health....their rates are awful and their underwriting is so strict....a rateup OR decline for anxiety medicine. Another rateup for HBP medicine...her BP is normal w/her medicine. LOL.....unbelievable. I would literally starve to death on major med commissions.

Back