Assurant Jan 09 Changes

Assurant is by no means the best alternative around Jax...they are competitive in some very narrow areas, under narrow circumstances...wrote one here yesterday in the Bay Area. Here's a suggestion: instead of fumbling around, find an expert and refer it for half. I wouldn't dream of trying to do senior-type stuff...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Moonlight, I'm glad I don't take your replies personally - regardless of how crass you are I still find most of your posts helpful - and I say that with all sincerity!

Here's some additional sincerity that I hope you don't take personally...I couldn't care less what you think of me.

Last edited:
Assurant is by no means the best alternative around Jax...they are competitive in some very narrow areas, under narrow circumstances...wrote one here yesterday in the Bay Area. Here's a suggestion: instead of fumbling around, find an expert and refer it for half. I wouldn't dream of trying to do senior-type stuff...

I wasn't fumbling around...I looked at Assurant and the rates are too high, for a good plan.

Med-supps are easy to sell...so are PDP plans...it's just not that easy to sell a product with riders and rate-ups when he has full coverage on his wife, plus the only thing they have that saves the man money, which is why he called, has a 250,000 a year limit on cancer expenses.

If you know of a good alternative, I'll take a look and might get licensed with them. Then again, Obama is fixing to take care of this market.
We don't have pharmacy's or doc offices in GA.

What is GR...I know it's an abbreviation...but what company. Is it Guaranteed Reserve...

Last edited:
GR = Golden Rule aka UHC = United Healthcare

I should have known that...I use to write for them.

I read somewhere where some members of Congress are pushing for the 55-64 year old market to be able to join Medicare. Medicare is a great system that needs to be kept solvent.

I wasn't fumbling around...I looked at Assurant and the rates are too high, for a good plan.

Med-supps are easy to sell...so are PDP plans...it's just not that easy to sell a product with riders and rate-ups

Yes, I agree. Trying to do major medical with one company is like trying to play golf with one club...

Of course med-supps and PDP plans are easy to sell...that's why the commission is low compared to regular health insurance.

The average fyc on an under 65 health case is (for me) this year is $782. What's an average for med-supps?
Medicare is a great system that needs to be kept solvent.

Doesn't this statement contradict itself?

:twitchy:

Last edited:
Yes, I agree. Trying to do major medical with one company is like trying to play golf with one club...

Of course med-supps and PDP plans are easy to sell...that's why the commission is low compared to regular health insurance.

The average fyc on an under 65 health case is (for me) this year is $782. What's an average for med-supps?

Doesn't this statement contradict itself?

:twitchy:

Depends on the company. I've written 2 within the last week with M of O where the annualized commission is near $400, payable as soon as their issued. I write for other companies where it's between $350 and $400 annualized....both good for the first 6 years of the contract. AARP isn't as great...neither is Genworth, but their having some problems.

To your question...my answer is no. It's a great system. I can personally say so. Over 1 million in dialysis bills paid for. The Government needs to do what it can to keep it from going bankrupt, including raising the Medicare tax, if needed.

I do understand your point about having more than 1 company for major medicals and that's true.... which is my fault...that's why I asked of an alternative. I use to write a few for GR...they seem comparable to Assurant though.

Last edited:
Had lunch with a buddy today who is writing with Aetna. Said they pay $450 per year for 5 years . . . assuming it stays on the books that long . . .

Back