Assurant Maternity

Colorado Newbie

Super Genius
Kenai, AK
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with Assurants maternity benefit for Colorado. Is it as good as it looks? Have your clients been happy with it and so forth.

thanks!

I don't know about CO, but in FL it is one of the better maternity options out there. With exception of Aetna, Assurant offers materity with the least amount of waiting time and it is 100% after ded, which beats 80%/20%. The downside is in FL they are not competitive and to put a $2,500 ded for maternity on the plan, the rates skyrocket compared to a $5,000 ded. If I was in a more competitve state, I would definately recommend Assurant for maternity.

Just one point to note, and this is proabably standard with all other major med carriers...If the client has an emergency c-sect, those charges go toward the major medical ded.

Best bang for the buck you can get is the $10,000 maternity deductible - adds $8 to the cost of the plan and they get the re-pricing...which is what you're after.

In Texas the lowest deductible is $5000 (additional) that goes over real good with a young girl that generally has limited funds.

We have quoted it a lot and never sold one.

proabably standard with all other major med carriers...If the client has an emergency c-sect, those charges go toward the major medical ded.

To my knowledge, all carriers pay complications of preg under the major med, not the maternity benefit.

If someone wants and HSA with maternity, it is a decent option, at least in GA.

Best plan for the money is GR or KP in GA.

To my knowledge, all carriers pay complications of preg under the major med, not the maternity benefit.

If someone wants and HSA with maternity, it is a decent option, at least in GA.

Best plan for the money is GR or KP in GA.

I am sure you are right. My point was to explain that a person could potentially pay more than the maternity ded. If they took an assurant 2,500K maternity ded and had a complication, then they could potentially pay over that amount eventhough it pays at 100% after 2,500.

And, in FL the GR maternity is a increasing benefit. As years increase with the plan so does the benefit level. In order to receive 7,500 in benefit, the client would have to be on the plan for 5+ years.

Best bang for the buck you can get is the $10,000 maternity deductible - adds $8 to the cost of the plan and they get the re-pricing...which is what you're after.

Typically, you can negotiate a better repricing if you talk with hospitals in advance and shop them against each other (kind of like car shopping). Although, not everyone has the funds available to do this.

And, in FL the GR maternity is a increasing benefit. As years increase with the plan so does the benefit level. In order to receive 7,500 in benefit, the client would have to be on the plan for 5+ years.

So they pay approximately $6,360 in premiums for a $7,500 benefit.

Boy, is THAT a good deal for the insurance company!

you can negotiate a better repricing if you talk with hospitals in advance and shop them against each other

Most carriers have per diems negotiated on things like L&D including non-complicated C-sections. If you are using par providers, they are obligated to charge you the negotiated rate . . . no more, no less.

Negotiation works if you have cash but lack coverage. But with coverage, even a plan like Time's, I fail to see the reason for negotiating.

Back