Assurant One deductible Traditional Plan

Assurant One deductible Traditional Plan

The traditional plan was identified in the topic, it was specifically what I was referring to.

Bob the insurance guy, are you referring to the TRADITIONAL plan. If so, you might be under the same impression I had been, that it was a network plan. If you had the same impression, send me a PM, I am working with Assurant to redo all policies sold as traditional plans. I confess that I should have been more thorough with this, never would have sold this plan if I had understood there was no network, hope my E&O is ok.

No network and more expensive. There simply is no penalty for being out of network however clients will get balance billed into oblivion and no network re-pricing. I don't even know why it still exists.

My error.

I have never bothered to quote anything other than One Deductible PPO, Core Med or Max. The rest of the plans are garbage.

I have never sold a Core Med and never plan on doing so. I have one Max on the books and wish I did not have that one.

With a 70% price differential (at least on a few plans I compared) I have no idea how you have managed to write the product. You must be a helluva salesman.

The 1 Ded PPO is moderately competitive in select situations in GA. The Traditional is out of sight.

Bob Ins Guy can speak for himself, but I doubt he is selling the Traditional plan either. Can't say I have ever quoted it.

Ditto - how did you manage to sell it? MD zip 21113 male 40, wife 40 two kids on One Deductible Traditional is $570 for a $5,700 deductible - $392 for a HSA PPO. I'm not sure I could have talked my clients into the extra $178 per month.

Unless I'm missing something, Assurant only sells network plans in CA... and the prices are so high I doubt they sell many of those.

Al

Unless I'm missing something, Assurant only sells network plans in CA... and the prices are so high I doubt they sell many of those.

Al

They sell the One Deductible traditional, no network, but in Johns example above, for the same family living in 94536 (California - Fremont or East side of the Bay), you pay $728.77 a month. I have no idea why you would even bother..... it's not in the ballpark.

Dan

As I have confessed before, I am a rookie with health insurance, but I am learning by my mistakes, what is balance billing?

Balance billing means the provider is free to bill the patient whatever they wish . . . and the patient is obligated to pay it.

In a PPO policy the providers have agreed to accept a pre-negotiated fee for their services. They are prohibited by contract from billing the patient for the difference in the negotiated rate and their "going" rate.

When you have a traditional indemnity policy (no network) the carriers follow R&C (reasonable & customary) which is almost always a higher reimbursement than negotiated rates. Thus the premium difference in a "traditional" policy and a PPO policy.

So the policyholder gets hosed 3 ways.

They pay more for the indemnity policy.

They pay more for services rendered.

There is no cap on what the providers can charge which makes out of pocket meaningless in these policies.

Back