Assurant to cover RA with CSD

TXINSURANCE

Guru
1000 Post Club
Katy, TX
I just received an email that Assurant will accept Rheumatoid Arthritis with a CSD (Condition Specific Deductible) giving member access to negotiated rates and coverage for RA after CSD?

All other underwritten carriers I deal with this is an auto decline.

Anyone have any opinions or care to fill me in on the downside?

Thanks

Re: Assurant to cover RA with CSD?

what do they mean with csd.........

Condition Specific Deductible. I placed a case there like that recently and have one pending. If the client is controlling it well, and not disabled by it, the chance of getting it approved are good. The lady that I have pending is kind of young for RA, but she works full time, which is a big plus.

I spoke with Assurant today about this. What I took from the conversation is few RA cases will pass thru the eye of that needle. If your client has taken a narcotic based medication (which most of those with RA have) within the last six months, you are a decline. This is just one of the many qualifying questions. If you can get a case issued, the CSD will range from $59,000 to $65,000, and could be higher than that depending on the clients course of treatment. To me your getting nothing more than a discount plan, which can be bought for a lot less than where Assurant rates are at these days. My thought is your better off going straight to the Risk Pool. That is unless your one of those agent that sells the Assurant "Right Start" or "Save Right" plans and promotes them as true major med coverage.

the CSD will range from $59,000 to $65,000

Is this for real? A CSD of $59,000 to $65,000 is LEGAL? It is tactics like this that make Obama appeal to consumers - this is pushing the limits way to far.

Complete garbage if true.

CSD, or lasering (as it is referred to in the stop loss market), is an effective way of issuing coverage while limiting exposure to the carrier on a known risk. Personally, I wish more carriers would do this.

CSD's are not available in GA. That would open up more opportunities, especially if carriers other than Time had this feature.

The argument that CSD's are tantamount to nothing more than a discount plan is ludicrous. A policy with a CSD is preferable to no coverage at all or a cheesy, overpriced discount card.

CSD, or lasering (as it is referred to in the stop loss market), is an effective way of issuing coverage while limiting exposure to the carrier on a known risk. Personally, I wish more carriers would do this.

CSD's are not available in GA. That would open up more opportunities, especially if carriers other than Time had this feature.

The argument that CSD's are tantamount to nothing more than a discount plan is ludicrous. A policy with a CSD is preferable to no coverage at all or a cheesy, overpriced discount card.

All true and the insured gets the benefit of network re-pricing.

Somarco, if you continue to enlighten the agents on this board, you are going to breed tougher competition. Doesn't that concern you at all?

Thanks for asking, Bill.

No matter how much I "enlighten" others they will still be pretty much the same guys asking the same questions. Now if I were a trainer I'm sure the results would be different.

Besides, I will probably leave this industry very soon when Obama Care goes into place. I expect to find a position working for the Marxist States of America with a salary, free health care, a guaranteed pension, zero responsibility and zero accountability.

MMO in OH, and Consumers Life not only will insure the individual, but cover it as well. Always nice to have backup though.

Back