Assurant Underwriting Appeals Process

gussle285

Expert
I just received a decline here in CA for a client of mine who had an Anthem Blue Cross policy approved in 2009. The client had a gastric bypass surgery 10 years ago and has had stable weight of 5' 7" 150lbs since the surgery. Assurant's application specifically asks about the last 5 years of medical conditions. This person has no other medical conditions and doesn't take any RX meds for anything. Has anyone dealt with Assurant and their appeals process before? I have successfully in the past have had policies issued that were originally declined with other carriers. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Don't waste your time. Any history of gastric bypass is a decline w/ Assurant.

The 5 year look-back is irrelevant. They have a right to consider any info obtained in the underwriting process. The applicant may only have to answer 5 year look-back questions, but that is not the end of the line.

No offense, but sounds like you're a little green behind the ears :)

Don't waste your time. Any history of gastric bypass is a decline w/ Assurant.

The 5 year look-back is irrelevant. They have a right to consider any info obtained in the underwriting process. The applicant may only have to answer 5 year look-back questions, but that is not the end of the line.

No offense, but sounds like you're a little green behind the ears :)

I always do what is in the clients best interest and they really wanted this policy. I have had this scenario previously with other carriers and have had them approved with consistent weight for the past 5 years. Going to make a lateral move with Anthem CA so the new policy complies with the new health law.

Sorry buddy, not green behind the ears. Showed this client 4 carriers and this is the one they wanted

Last edited:
Why would anyone "really want" an Assurant plan in California??

Further, why would doing what is in the client's best interest necessarily jive with their "really wanting" to switch companies? Is "really wanting" to switch companies always in the client's best interest?

Of course, a new policy from Assurant would pay a 12% FYC (minimum). Hmm, but I'm sure that fact didn't enter into your client's thinking process, did it?

By green behind the ears, I meant you made a presumption about underwriting outcomes. Assurant is one of the easiest companies to prescreen with. No reason not to do it, especially with something that straightforward. They're really efficient at telling you NOPE CAN'T DO - especially in California - a state they HATE with a passion and probably would withdraw from, especially now that the Commissioner is a communist, but for their relationship with State Farmers.

I think I pegged him (?) pretty good.
If you ever saw Assurant's rates in California, you'd know this post was a load of crap.

This post was a load of crap? Assurant is competitive in certain parts of the state. Your an ***.

Back