Assurant Underwriting

joshril

Guru
1000 Post Club
I have a case I am working on and wanted some feedback:

I have a customer that was on HBP meds, overweight, and had a death in the family and was put on Lexapro and Wellbutrin about 6 years ago. She of course was declined by a couple of carriers and went to the Risk Pool.

She was taken off the HBP meds about 3 years ago and has had normal blood pressure readings since, lost the weight and is within standard weight requirements, and is currently still taking the Wellbutrin and Lexapro, but has never been hospitalized or anything with those conditions.

She is about to have to drop the Risk Pool due to the cost and I wondered if Assurant would look at this. It appears she lost some weight and everything else went back into check like John P. is always talking about.

I am thinking about submitting an app with a 25% load and seeing what underwriting says. I am sure I'm looking at an APS on this one, but I wanted to see what input you all might have on the possible underwriting outcome.

She's still taking Wellbutrin AND Lexapro? You're looking at more than 25% and a load for meds if you're gonna quote Max or HSA. Quote CoreMed and there's no action since mental disorders aren't covered but that should not be an option for her.

Assurant will also consider that she's been off HBP meds for three years but their radar will definitely be up. I'd say this is a rough Assurant ride but you're looking at 50% plus for a rating to start the bidding.

She's still taking Wellbutrin AND Lexapro? You're looking at more than 25% and a load for meds if you're gonna quote Max or HSA. Quote CoreMed and there's no action since mental disorders aren't covered but that should not be an option for her.

Assurant will also consider that she's been off HBP meds for three years but their radar will definitely be up. I'd say this is a rough Assurant ride but you're looking at 50% plus for a rating to start the bidding.

Yes. Wellbutrin and Lexapro are actually a pretty normal combo for depression... at least with docs around here.. both low dosages. So you think CoreMed is a no-go only because it does not cover mental or nervous disorders? Would it not be an option if she is to the point of dropping her coverage anyway?

Do you have a recommendation for another company that might look at this risk more favorably?

Also, the 50% minimum rating you're talking, would that be due to the fact that she is on the mental drugs and was on HPB meds...?

I'm not a fan of clients have having coverage for on-going conditions. Only in a last resort situation. I'd be looking for Assurant's HSA or Max Plan then Aetna and check on Blue Cross. Clients can become hospitalized for depression-related events and it's nothing you don't want coverage for.

Sorry to sound rude, but a death 6 years ago requires her to still be on two depression meds?

No action for the HBP if she's been off the meds for 2 years. The reason for the possible 50% load is her total health history over the past 5 years along with the two depression meds. But I'm actually checking with my underwriter for you.

I'm not a fan of clients have having coverage for on-going conditions. Only in a last resort situation. I'd be looking for Assurant's HSA or Max Plan then Aetna and check on Blue Cross. Clients can become hospitalized for depression-related events and it's nothing you don't want coverage for.

Sorry to sound rude, but a death 6 years ago requires her to still be on two depression meds?

No action for the HBP if she's been off the meds for 2 years. The reason for the possible 50% load is her total health history over the past 5 years along with the two depression meds. But I'm actually checking with my underwriter for you.

Thanks John... Yeah, she said that the depression started as situational, but of course, anything over a year is not situational so who knows..

Thanks John... Yeah, she said that the depression started as situational, but of course, anything over a year is not situational so who knows..

Situational is 6 months to a year. Anything over that is chronic and medication alone isn't the answer.

Consumers have to realize that doctors have an incentive to prescribe medications. Talk to a pharmoceautical rep and see how they go about making a living.

This is not to say that drugs can't help because they can, but people ALWAYS want the quick fix....

It's the doc. My wife and I have been together 24 years. In 1990 she was diagnosed bipolar. I had no clue, but quickly became an expert. Why? Because of all the docs, interns, etc. that need help themselves, it's like the blind leading the blind! (sorry). In my opinion all that the shrinks are good for nowadays is a script. You NEED an advocate, someone who is normal, understands you and your illness, and cares enough about you to be proactive about it. My wife has a good doc now, but he has dropped the ball a few times, I called him on it, he agreed and apologized. We have a good relationship and it works very well for my wife. I can only wonder what sick folks do when by themselves they are at the mercy of this "establishment". We have been through so many freaky doctors in 17 years (some of whom I could have initiated malpractice against - but why add the extra trouble, since I caught and corrected the bumble?) that I have come to the general conclusion that apparently a LARGE percentage of folks who majored in psychology/psychiatry in college, did so to try and figure THEMSELVES out, and failed to do so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back