Assurant Underwriting

The largest impact you can have on anybody who is feeling down, mentally tired, anxious, etc. is to shut your mouth, give the person your "full attention, let them speak their mind" and wait until the person is done before you even think about responding. ALWAYS give 5 second pauses before responding.

Go to Somalia and walk 5 miles in the morning to get water. A friend of mine is on depressing meds - housewife with two kids, nice house, nice life. Just having touble "coping." Maybe a two weeks in Somalia would cure her.

No doubt. My wife will attest that a mere 15 minute walk will lift the spirits (also medically attested to) and certainly a 5 mile walk would have long ago lifted the spirits, worn them out, and one would be too tired to worry about a thing.

The largest impact you can have on anybody who is feeling down, mentally tired, anxious, etc. is to shut your mouth, give the person your "full attention, let them speak their mind" and wait until the person is done before you even think about responding. ALWAYS give 5 second pauses before responding.

Agreed. And if the person is in a full manic episode, you will have no other choice.

Back to the original subject - as far as underwriting and mental health meds are concerned, I just try to educate my clients & let them know that popping any pill that is advised - needed or not - could impact their future ability for health care insurance approval - fair or not.

Not seem too cold, but sometimes some perspective is needed. Somewhere in this world today someone was convicted for a crime they didn't commit, somone will be exectuted without a trial, someone's child was abducted, and someone will watch their child die of starvation. I'm not saying that major phychological conditions don't need attention, but this "depression" stuff is mainly a load of horseshit. You want depressed? Go to Somalia and walk 5 miles in the morning to get water. A friend of mine is on depressing meds - housewife with two kids, nice house, nice life. Just having touble "coping." Maybe a two weeks in Somalia would cure her.

Damn straight!

Back