At fault accident NOT showing up on renewal

Counterinsurgnt

Hello, I had a moving violation 2 years ago, it was basically a ticket for 19 mph over the limit which I took a plea deal for a unsafe driving because the prosecutor assured me that my insurance rates could not increase if I took that deal. I live in NJ by the way.

Just 6 months ago I was in an at fault accident where my bumper and the other drivers bumper were damaged slightly. I needed a whole new bumper which cost $2800 total. I'm unsure of the other drivers cost but I can't t image it would be more than mine was.

Now, that claim was paid out to the body shop on March 21st 2018. My insurance renewed on June 2018 but I still see my discounts and 5 years no claim discount and the only thing listed under accidents and violations is the moving violation....NO ACCIDENT...

What's going on? Why is it not listed? To my knowledge I didn't have accident forgiveness. Also I called up on September 21st to ask for a quote for a 2017 SUV and to remove my current car. I was told it would be a $18 a month increase total! So still no huge bump up for the accident....

Again what the heck is going on?

Thanks for any insight to this. Im really afraid to buy a new car for the quoted insurance price and then in two months when I renew it jumps up hundreds of dollars and now I can't t afford my car payments!

Now, that claim was paid out to the body shop on March 21st 2018. My insurance renewed on June 2018 but I still see my discounts and 5 years no claim discount and the only thing listed under accidents and violations is the moving violation....NO ACCIDENT...

You don't say what date in June but renewals are often processed 45 to 60 days before the renewal date and there could be any number of reasons why the claim didn't get to the underwriters prior to the renewal processing. Might even have been coded wrong.

At this point all I can suggest is get your CLUE Auto claims report and see if it's on it:

LexisNexis Personal Reports

If the claim is on the CLUE report, the surcharge is likely to kick in for your December renewal. Might want to wait until then before you buy a newer car.

By the way, if you wait a couple of months you'll get a better deal on the 2017 car when the dealers have to push out the old inventory that they've paid interest on for 2 years (assuming there are any new ones left) to make room for the 2019s that they are just starting to pay interest on. If you're buying used, it'll be two model years old with the 2019s out and go for less money. Another bit of advice. Buy your car on the last day of the month at the end of the business day. Someone is sure to need one more sale to meet quota and they get desperate. Oh, if you aren't already aware of this, don't trade in your vehicle at the dealer. That's a guaranteed screwing no matter how good the looks on paper (they are very creative). Sell it separately and use the cash for your down payment.

Last edited:
It will probably show up on the next renewal.

I have seen them delayed for almost a full year. No idea why, just happens sometimes. In this case, it was likely slated for renewal before the claim closed so it wasn't officially in the system for rating at the renewal time.

Be happy for the next 6 months. After that, it will probably show up.

Dan

March 26th they paid my claim, and on may 19th I got my first renewal email but no prices we're in that email, process we're detailed in another email on June 2nd.

I checked for quotes from other companies today and found one who would charge $180 per month with 2 accidents listed on the quote ( for some reason the hit and run popped up on another quote I did (AND SO DID THE AT FAULT ACCIDENT) I just used both on my quote from this company. Currently I pay $126 per month with my company that paid the claim.....

I'm not sure if you would be able to make a judgement with such limited info but IF my next renewal with my current company does include the accident does a $54 per month increase sound right? Or do you think it would be even higher?

My problem here is the car I want is a fantastic deal already....they want to get rid of it like you said. It has 5,400 miles on it and it's in fantastic condition! Also it's the last year for that model so it's almost a now or never for me.

Also if I remove my old car and add a new one does it give me a new 6 month policy or do I just finish out the current policy time frame?

Thanks so much for the info you provided already! I really appreciate it!

Changing cars on an existing policy can be a re-rate event. Not always, but I've seen it go both ways.

A 50% rate increase sounds about right. That is a huge generalization since a lot of other factors play in but it isn't normally more than that, so I think the $54 is a good ballpark number.

Keep in mind, carriers are different. Your current one may like you without the accident, but when it gets rated, you fall into a different tier and they raise your rates considerably more (or less). Worse case is you have to have your broker shop your policy at that time.

New Jersey averages 36% increase in auto premium after a $2000 at fault accident

Back