At This Point... What Should I Expect 1/1/2014?

Rearden

Guru
5000 Post Club
My situation:

-Working full-time through group health insurance plan.
-Would like to work entirely for myself after 2014.
-Wife has pre-existing health conditions (a pacemaker needing a fresh battery or new leads/pacer every 7-9 years, and had a spinal fusion at 17).

So... what options will I have 1/1/2014, if any, to cover myself, my children, and especially my wife, being self-employed?

Thanks.

My situation:

-Working full-time through group health insurance plan.
-Would like to work entirely for myself after 2014.
-Wife has pre-existing health conditions (a pacemaker needing a fresh battery or new leads/pacer every 7-9 years, and had a spinal fusion at 17).

So... what options will I have 1/1/2014, if any, to cover myself, my children, and especially my wife, being self-employed?

Thanks.

you my friend are good to go.... your new friend is Obama... support the dems

I would wait before making any big changes. This thing could fall apart or be delayed. You'll know for sure by Oct 1st when enrollment begins. Don't quit your day job until then.

I would wait before making any big changes. This thing could fall apart or be delayed. You'll know for sure by Oct 1st when enrollment begins. Don't quit your day job until then.

Everything is iffy right now. Sit tight until you see how it shakes out.

Good advice above, Rearden. I agree with them. Sit tight until you're sure Obamacare will be installed 1/1/2014. You'll know by 10/1/2013 what plans are available and what premiums and subsidies may apply to your family. On 1/1/2014 (unless delayed), pre-existing conditions will not be a factor in your selection of a health insurance plan.

Hello, I am self employed selling life insurance but also have a health insurance lic. but have never sold it.

My COBRA recently ran out. Is there an Independent Health Insurance marketing company that I could sign up with and sell myself a policy (getting commission thus helping pay my premium)?

Male 52 NS no preexisting conditions.

Hello, I am self employed selling life insurance but also have a health insurance lic. but have never sold it.

My COBRA recently ran out. Is there an Independent Health Insurance marketing company that I could sign up with and sell myself a policy (getting commission thus helping pay my premium)?

Shouldn't be a problem. You need to figure out what policy you want.

Try this for a quote, input your zip code, birthdate and you will get lots of quotes for your situation.

Quote Here
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Yes, you will likely be self employed come 1/1/14, or shortly thereafter... one way or the other. Either you choose to take the leap OR the employer determines they can't afford you after the new Obamacrap takes effect and cuts your hours to 28 or <. Also the new trend will be to drop coverage for dependants due to cost, but the upside is covg is available, if one can afford it. The jury is still out on what the costs will shake out to be; 10/1 or thereabouts, will surely be interesting.

I wonder if there is any coincidence that rates are scheduled to be debued on 10/1/14, a non-election year for Congress. You could bet your boots that IF 14' was an election year that rates wouldn't be released until 11/10 or >, following the counting of the last ballot. Those on each end of Penn Ave are growing with their concern over the fallout of this pending timebomb, aka health reform. Certainly there are some very good things here, aka as NO pre-x, but if you can't afford the covg what good does that do someone???

Rant over; sorry... I just see a train wreck in the distance and no matter how many of those that I've witnessed in my life they always raise the hair on the back of my neck. :1arghh:

Last edited:
Try this for a quote, input your zip code, birthdate and you will get lots of quotes for your situation.

Quote Here
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Yes, you will likely be self employed come 1/1/14, or shortly thereafter... one way or the other. Either you choose to take the leap OR the employer determines they can't afford you after the new Obamacrap takes effect and cuts your hours to 28 or <. Also the new trend will be to drop coverage for dependants due to cost, but the upside is covg is available, if one can afford it. The jury is still out on what the costs will shake out to be; 10/1 or thereabouts, will surely be interesting.

I wonder if there is any coincidence that rates are scheduled to be debued on 10/1/14, a non-election year for Congress. You could bet your boots that IF 14' was an election year that rates wouldn't be released until 11/10 or >, following the counting of the last ballot. Those on each end of Penn Ave are growing with their concern over the fallout of this pending timebomb, aka health reform. Certainly there are some very good things here, aka as NO pre-x, but if you can't afford the covg what good does that do someone???

Rant over; sorry... I just see a train wreck in the distance and no matter how many of those that I've witnessed in my life they always raise the hair on the back of my neck. :1arghh:

At least Rearden is better situated than most if his current employer cuts him back to 28 hours per week. He has developed the skills to earn a living on his own no matter what his employer does. Most people are just sitting around waiting for the other shoe to drop and then will scream and cry that it isn't "fair".

Nut, something this massive and disrupting will still have an impact on mid-terms in 2014. Just because new rates will (supposedly) show up in October, most won't find out until THEIR plan renews in 2014.

This is like the clap. It is the gift that keeps on giving.

Back