Attending College While Selling Insurance

Cherry

For starters, if it wasn't for this website, I would have been completely lost and now have a better grasp of the wonderful would of selling life insurance.

With that being said, I'm in a bit of a conundrum. While I have been enrolled in school (will not start the semester until January), I was presented a contract to start training at New York Life, meanwhile study for my life/health insurance. I also want to continue with my degree as well, and as a newbie to the business, am conflicted on whether or not I should take a semester off to learn the ropes of the business, or take college classes at the same time. I have some time to decide, however I don't want to jeopardize either work and/or my studies.

Any sound advice will be greatly appreciated.

You may have to make a choice between NYL and your studies.Have you informed your prospective manager of your situation? I think that your best bet would be to find a local independent agent to train you in Final Expense sales. It is an easy product and sales process, and you can make more part time than you would waiting tables or flipping burgers.

What is your major? What are your plans for after college?

Last edited:
See how it works. I can't see you doing both initially unless you are taking a limited number of college classes.

Don't be too quick to drop school. I started while in grad school. Some people tend to be more productive when they are pushed to be more productive. My best year in college was when I maxed out on credits and took on extra work. Others fall flat - you need to know yourself and know how busy/productive you want to be.

Really appreciate the advise so far; I've told the partners that interviewed me about my situation, and they were very happy with the fact that I am eager to continue with my studies. I'm a General Science major at a community college, and prior to even considering going into insurance, I was going into Biochemistry. I've looked into going to independent companies, however it seems like the captives were the only ones interested in me.

Back