Attention MD,AL, GA, and CA P&C Agents. I Need Carriers Please!

NCAgent

Guru
1000 Post Club
I'm in an insurance agency looking to expand to these states mentioned before from NC.

Our target market is Home+Auto package clientele who have excellent credit and we have access to them now.

I know some of the companies open in that area but for the agents who are actually in these states, what carriers of yours are the best for these type of people? I guess I should specify that they need to be carriers that indys can use, not captive-only companies.

In my state, Kemper and Safeco are almost enough to run your own agency for these people.

In CA I hear that Mercury and Metlife and decent carriers, how true is that? Any other ones that you suggest? Any notes you feel should be mentioned like lower compensation but too good not to have, or things like that?

How about for the other states mentioned?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot guys!

Re: Attention MD,AL, GA, and CA P&C Agents. I Need Carriers Pleas

Why do you want to expand in states so far away, is there not enough business where you are?

You start changing states, the state requirements are different, policies are all different, lots to know the difference in.

Why do you want to expand in states so far away, is there not enough business where you are?

You start changing states, the state requirements are different, policies are all different, lots to know the difference in.

I'm currently licensed in those states through a prior employer. We work with a mortgage company that does financing in those states and several others. We go where the business goes and we have been turning down many policies in those states due to not having an agency license there. We'd like to fix that and I have a decent understanding of the states and the time to learn what I need to, as does the owner. Because of the very specific clients that we have it was worth investigating and trying.

If afterwards we feel it is too much then we will reduce the states we service. This was more something the agency owner wants to do and I'm not going to turn down a chance for additional business through this venue. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work.

Last edited:

So according to my own research I look like I would be fine with Travelers, Safeco, Kemper, and then for CA to add on Mercury. Would others agree with this for those states? Any other ones sticking out that I should have?

So according to my own research I look like I would be fine with Travelers, Safeco, Kemper, and then for CA to add on Mercury. Would others agree with this for those states? Any other ones sticking out that I should have?

In Georgia and Alabama, Auto-Owners is an ideal fit for your target market. For customers with good credit, clean driving record and no non-weather-related homeowner claims in the last 36 months- their rates are excellent! The only carriers who consistently rank higher in customer satisfaction are Amica and USAA (military). They also have the best claims handling service that I've ever known.

I'm an independent agent in Georgia and we write just over 50% of our personal lines business with Auto-Owners.

Another great carrier for the same demographic is Donegal Group (their subsidiary, Southern Insurance Company of Virginia, to be exact). We write almost 30% of our personal lines business with them. Their auto policies are particularly impressive- first accident forgiveness, at-fault claims under $1200 are non-chargeable, $100 towing and $100 locksmith coverage are included at no charge. It's a very easy sell with the value-added features paired with ultra-competitive rates!

Between those two carriers, I can beat State Farm, Farm Bureau, Allstate and all the other 'BIG' guys at least 95% of the time. In most instances, I'm also offering MORE coverage and/or benefits along with the lower premium.

Ok so our main office is in Sacramento CA, and I run our Utah office but am originally from CA and licensed there as well, so I have had the pleasure of writing a few personal lines with Mercury as we are appointed with them. They are really competitive with young drivers especially. In general I have been able to beat out State Farm, and Geico with them on drivers under 25. I would say peruse it. We are mainly a comercial lines P&C agency so I do not really have any other recomendations for personal lines unfortunately . Another one you could try is GMAC, we just got them and they have a killer RV program and supposedly have a great homeowners in the works...I find their personal auto rates to be very similar to Allied and Travelers though so don't expect to beat out any regionals with them.;)

In CA, you'll need Safeco and Travelers. Mercury works in some demographics.

None of these companies are appointing agents right now though, unless you have an 'in' somehow or work through a cluster or MGA.

Also, credit is not a rating factor in CA, so good, bad, excellent or non-existent, doesn't matter.

For market access, you can use a company such as SAIS, which gives you decent access in all states you are licensed in. It's not clean, since the policy is in their name, but its an easy start while you figure out appointments.

Dan

I totally missed these responses, thanks guys! I don't have access to some carriers in CA yet because we are getting licensed there.

So here is the list I have right now:

CA:
Safeco
Travelers
Mercury

GA:
Safeco
Donegal
Auto-owners

AL:
Safeco
Donegal
Auto-owners

MD:
Kemper
Safeco
Travelers

Does this sound about right to you guys? Also, is Metlife still competitive in CA or did that start to go away? I know a some time back they were so competitive that they were beating out USAA and other carriers but I haven't been keeping up.

Thanks again for the help!

Don't forget Allied..They are strong with homes 10 years old or newer and there auto has an excellent roadside service and diminishing deductible.

Met is strong in auto especially with drivers 55 and over, they don't want your whole book to consist of that demographic tho. They are rarely competitive on the home especially mono-line.

Hope that helps.

You are missing GMAC... They are appointing right now and have a good auto,RV, and commercial fleet program. They also have a homeowners coming very soon.

Latest posts

Back