Authorization Form to sell life insurance to Medicare Client

Pancur

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
IL
Hi,
One of my current Medicare clients wants to buy life insurance from me. I'm still new in this "Medicare regulated world" but I know that the client should sign first an authorization form to use his PHI form.
Can you guys suggest where to get the form?

Hi,
One of my current Medicare clients wants to buy life insurance from me. I'm still new in this "Medicare regulated world" but I know that the client should sign first an authorization form to use his PHI form.
Can you guys suggest where to get the form?

Excuse me, but what? I'm really not sure what you're asking, but let me just say this. Just sell them as though they are not your client for anything else. That'll work.

Are you sure you are not thinking of a MEDICAID customer looking for Life Insurance?

In "AHIP Marketing Medicare Advantage and Part D Plans" on page 55 it says:

"Plans/Part D Sponsors must obtain HIPAA authorization from an enrollee prior to using or disclosing the enrollee’s protected health information (PHI) to market non-health related items or services such as accident-only policies, life insurance policies or annuities."

Source: :https://www.carevalue.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/AHIP-Medicare-Modules-4-5.pdf

In "AHIP Marketing Medicare Advantage and Part D Plans" on page 55 it says:

"Plans/Part D Sponsors must obtain HIPAA authorization from an enrollee prior to using or disclosing the enrollee’s protected health information (PHI) to market non-health related items or services such as accident-only policies, life insurance policies or annuities."

Source: :https://www.carevalue.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/AHIP-Medicare-Modules-4-5.pdf

First off, you are not a sponsor. This is saying that the sponsors cannot market other products to the enrollee without prior consent. This has not one thing to do with you selling them a life policy.

The only rule you have to worry about is not trying to sell them an MA or PDP on the same visit as you are selling the life product.

Wow. This is the first time I've seen this point of view. I was a career agent with Humana for 13+ years and we were always made to get the authorization form signed by every member before we could talk to them about a non health product, even if the client asked for it. Is that because as employees we were techincally representing the sponsor, but as a delegated (contracted) agent I'm now separate from the sponsor so it should no longer apply? I thought they had a special place in you know where for agents that didn't use those auth forms.

Only rule for an agent I can think of this the 48 hour rule. If you're discussing MA/PDP and client wants to talk about Life/Annuities, you have to come back in 48 hours.

From MCMG (not seeing the 48 hour requirement, just not same appointment):
50.3 – Personal/Individual Marketing Appointments
42 CFR §§ 422.2268(b)(3-5),(11), 423.2268(b)(3-5) and (11)
SOA parameters (and documentation) are required for all one-on-one appointments, regardless of venue (e.g., home, telephone). During these appointments, discussions may only concern previously agreed upon plan products documented in the SOA, and may only market health-related products, and not, for example, annuities or life insurance.

Since the individual is your client, there is no need for an SOA or any HIPAA related forms. You are returning after the sale to discuss life insurance which has nothing to do with any of the above. At this point, just go back to the client, get his pertinent information (like face amount, general health with any conditions that may impact the life insurance, etc., etc.) and set the appointment to sell it. This is really not a big deal; you just can't do it all at the same appointment.

Back