Auto Damage Claim Questions

Braille

Hello All!!

Happy to have found this forum, as I have been trying to find answers to my situation online, but have not had any luck...

Here's the deal...

I have a car that got the front end messed up after my wife slid into a wall in a snow storm. We didn't make a claim on that, just sort of bolted the bumper back in so it would pass inspection and dealt with it due to lack of money at the time.

Fast forward 2 years and my wife rear ends someone, causing more damage that definitely will not pass inspection, but its very minor to the other car so they just send us on our way without filing anything.

What will the insurance company say when we claim the front end damage and try to get it fixed? Will they fight with us on it?

Since the damage happened, we had 2 months where our insurance lapsed, but it was restored with the same company and I have technically been a customer of theirs for 7 years, as long as we've owned that vehicle.

Thanks!!

Technically, they will pay the second claim damage minus the cost of the repairs for the first accident. So if you did $2000 damage the second time and a $1000 damage the first time, they would pay $2000 - $1000 = $1000 (then minus your deductible).

That said, just file the claim. I've seen adjusters pay for the full damage anyway, especially if you've been covered by them for a period of time. If they ask questions about pre-existing damage, be honest. Since you were covered by them at the time, they may go ahead and pay it, but, at the same time, realize they may not.

Dan

Your accident was within the insurance coverage and there's no question about whether they'll cover it or not.
But you need to be cautious when filing in claims as it builds on your history - will eventually hate on your premiums on next renewal.

Back