AUTO ENROLLMENT IN PDP

margostl

Super Genius
I got a call from a client that states she received a bill from Silverscript.She nor I enrolled her in the plan.
At the time of her enrollment 1yr ago she was informed of the 1% penalty but declined pdp due to not taking any meds.This is still the case.We called Silverscript on a 3way and they informed us both that she was auto enrolled by Medicare.I have several clients with Medsupps that declined for this reason or they were getting their meds from the VA.Is this common? Hers was the first I have encountered so far.She intends to file a complaint with CMS.

Hmmm... Is it possible she qualifies for Extra Help/LIS or a Medicare Savings Program and was automatically enrolled by Medicare?
No, she actually received a bill for$75.00. She also informed me after the call Silverscript was texting her telling her this was her last chance to enroll.She received several but ignored them.

Is the communication coming from SS or from some broker trying to force feed SS?
We asked the rep @SS point blank who enrolled her, she stated Medicare auto enrolled her.
I did tell her I doubted that and the client would be filing a complaint.She got indignant with me and stated Medicare does this and I should know this.They bullied the client when she called earlier, telling her she could only cancel by returning a cancellation form.I am just curious how the broker did it without signature or consent.

I don't know how these crooked agents sign people up without any kind of consent, but it sometimes happens. I've seen some of my clients get signed up with MAPD's without any knowledge of it. They find out when they get the new plan's welcome letter and card, and that's when they call me asking me if I did it. Or worse, they throw the new card away without opening it, thinking it's junk mail. They think I'm still their agent with their old plan until a claim gets denied and I have to tell them they're no longer insured by that plan and I'm no longer their agent of record. By then it's too late to fix it unless they're LIS or something like that. Frustrating, but it seems to be happening more and more. They must be calling telling people they have important Medicare info and need their Medicare card numbers and DOB's to verify their indentity. All these new call centers and dot coms are out there breaking all kinds of laws with apparent impunity.

Last edited:
I don't know how these crooked agents sign people up without any kind of consent, but it sometimes happens. I've seen some of my clients get signed up with MAPD's without any knowledge of it. They find out when they get the new plan's welcome letter and card, and that's when they call me asking me if I did it.

What you're referring to above is what's called, "seamless enrollment." Or, they enroll in a Med Supp and a Part D with a carrier who also offers a MAPD. The carrier turns around, calls them and tells them about their $0 premium plan and enrolls them.

Unless she gave out her Medicare number in this case, how would anyone else have it (besides theft)?

In this case, she should call 1-800-MEDICARE, tell them what Silver Script said and see what they see on their end.

Last edited:
I don't know how these crooked agents sign people up without any kind of consent, but it sometimes happens. I've seen some of my clients get signed up with MAPD's without any knowledge of it. They find out when they get the new plan's welcome letter and card, and that's when they call me asking me if I did it.

Unless she gave out her Medicare number in this case, how would anyone else have it (besides theft)?

Maybe what you're referring to above is what's called, "seamless enrollment."

In this case, she should just call 1-800-MEDICARE and see what they say.

I was editing my post while you were posting this reply, lol. I think some people are called by agents who say they're with Medicare, and get their card numbers to "verify identity". I know of one of my clients it appears this may have happened to.

I think some people are called by agents who say they're with Medicare, and get their card numbers to "verify identity".

I do believe this.

Last year some guy from FL, I think was trying to recruit me to move my contracts over to his platform. His company was called something like, the "Medicare Enrollment Center." No, thanks. It sounded downright shady and would scare seniors into signing up.

Back