Auto Insurance Company Question

outdoorfanatic1

Hello Everyone!

I just have to say how much I enjoy reading the great posts on this site. I've been lurking here for awhile now but never had to ask a question until now

I've had AAA (Southern California) since I was 16 and got my license. So basically I've never had anything else. They have always been fantastic treating my infrequent claims with a sense of urgency and respect. This January I got in an accident (I was at fault) and again AAA was fantastic and handled everything

Then came the not so fun part... I lost my good driver discount and up up up went my rates. Figuring I had a black mark on my record for awhile I accepted the renewal and moved on

Then I got a letter from Liberty Mutual about their BMW performance insurance (I drive a BMW) and figured I'd do an online quote to compare prices. I was amazed that their quote literally saved me over 40% vs. what I'm currently paying. I even called and had them run my DMV record to make sure the rate held.

So I researched and got another quote from Amica which was literally identical in price but seems to have a higher JD Power and Associates ranking.

I don't want to buy the "cheapest" thing in town thus I want a good insurance company that is reasonably priced and will return my call should the unexpected happen.

Any thoughts on these 2 companies?

Hello Everyone!

I just have to say how much I enjoy reading the great posts on this site. I've been lurking here for awhile now but never had to ask a question until now

I've had AAA (Southern California) since I was 16 and got my license. So basically I've never had anything else. They have always been fantastic treating my infrequent claims with a sense of urgency and respect. This January I got in an accident (I was at fault) and again AAA was fantastic and handled everything

Then came the not so fun part... I lost my good driver discount and up up up went my rates. Figuring I had a black mark on my record for awhile I accepted the renewal and moved on

Then I got a letter from Liberty Mutual about their BMW performance insurance (I drive a BMW) and figured I'd do an online quote to compare prices. I was amazed that their quote literally saved me over 40% vs. what I'm currently paying. I even called and had them run my DMV record to make sure the rate held.

So I researched and got another quote from Amica which was literally identical in price but seems to have a higher JD Power and Associates ranking.

I don't want to buy the "cheapest" thing in town thus I want a good insurance company that is reasonably priced and will return my call should the unexpected happen.

Any thoughts on these 2 companies?

I personally have no experience with either company. However, you should be able to go to your state's department of insurance website and find out the number of complaints about either. Whether complaints are high or low or in line with other companies.

Last edited:
You clearly haven't shopped in awhile. Liberty Mutual is better...although...keep shopping and I bet many companies will be in the same ballpark.

Auto-Owners won the award the last three years in a row from JD Power and Associates. In my opinion, they are one the very best auto carriers.

Auto-Owners won the award the last three years in a row from JD Power and Associates. In my opinion, they are one the very best auto carriers.

Auto-Owners is one of the best in the business, period. But they aren't the best market for unmarried drivers under 35 or anyone with more than one minor violation or claim in the last 36 months. They can also have brutal surcharges for those with a less-than-great credit history.

But if you fit the criteria, their rates and service are almost impossible to beat! I am an independent agent with six carriers to choose from, but I write at least 75% of my personal lines business with Auto-Owners.

Unfortunately, I spent almost two years unemployed after losing my job in the construction industry in late 2007. I ended up filing bankruptcy and losing my home in the process. So my credit score went from the mid-700s to the very low-500s between 2007 and 2009. It's still in the low-mid-600 range now. Auto-Owners rates me as their second-to-lowest credit scoring level, which translates to a surcharge of almost 80% over the base premium. For my 2006 Mazda3 with 250/500/100 liability limits, matching UM limits and $500 Comp & $500 Collision deductibles, my premium would be almost $1900/year!!!

So I'm basically a hypocrite (do as I say, not as I do)- I'm insured with Amica. For the same coverage mentioned above, I pay $986/year and my projected dividend check will be $93, making the net cost $893/year. That's cheaper than any of the companies that I represent, at least for my specific situation. But I keep that my 'dirty little secret'. ;)

Auto-Owners is one of the best in the business, period. But they aren't the best market for unmarried drivers under 35 or anyone with more than one minor violation or claim in the last 36 months. They can also have brutal surcharges for those with a less-than-great credit history.

But if you fit the criteria, their rates and service are almost impossible to beat! I am an independent agent with six carriers to choose from, but I write at least 75% of my personal lines business with Auto-Owners.

Unfortunately, I spent almost two years unemployed after losing my job in the construction industry in late 2007. I ended up filing bankruptcy and losing my home in the process. So my credit score went from the mid-700s to the very low-500s between 2007 and 2009. It's still in the low-mid-600 range now. Auto-Owners rates me as their second-to-lowest credit scoring level, which translates to a surcharge of almost 80% over the base premium. For my 2006 Mazda3 with 250/500/100 liability limits, matching UM limits and $500 Comp & $500 Collision deductibles, my premium would be almost $1900/year!!!

So I'm basically a hypocrite (do as I say, not as I do)- I'm insured with Amica. For the same coverage mentioned above, I pay $986/year and my projected dividend check will be $93, making the net cost $893/year. That's cheaper than any of the companies that I represent, at least for my specific situation. But I keep that my 'dirty little secret'. ;)

I don't have mine with them either. Mines with Nationwide. But Amica is one of the very best in the industry as well. I have seen how Nationwide handles claims so I stay with them (been with them since I was 16 and thats the only way I can keep my home with them).

JD rating means nothing you have too try them for yourself. AAA is good once ticket or accident rates go up the roof.

Back