Auto insurance has to be in same state as registration or DL?

carlton94563

Expert
I currently live in one state but my registration is in another that allows out-of-state resident to register their cars there. Will I have a problem getting insurance where I live?

Also, what if my driver's license is from a third state?

I am not changing either my DL or registration since I still have four years left on my DL before it expires, and i just paid registration for a year to another state, and that is non-refundable.

Well the first thing we need to do is look at each state and the requirements, as well as how much time you spend in each state. You may be able to pull this off without making a material misrep.

Well, right now, I spend 15%-75% of my time in one state, and 2% of my time in the other where I am registered.

What happened to the other 23%?

Haha, it varies. Sometimes I am home 2 months a year, other times like 9 or 10. I am thinking of going full-time and traveling the country permanently, with no physuial residence address. But for now this is the situation.

Right now I have an apartment in NV, but am registered in SD, which allows out-of-state registrations.

Haha, it varies. Sometimes I am home 2 months a year, other times like 9 or 10. I am thinking of going full-time and traveling the country permanently, with no physuial residence address. But for now this is the situation.

Right now I have an apartment in NV, but am registered in SD, which allows out-of-state registrations.
Wonderful... A super strict State Nevada... And a reasonably loose state South Dakota... That being said ignorance is not a defense in this case... Soooooo your best bet would be to just follow the rules and pay for insurance in the state of which you primarily operate the vehicle. Honesty is the best policy and policies get claims paid.

Wonderful... A super strict State Nevada... And a reasonably loose state South Dakota... That being said ignorance is not a defense in this case... Soooooo your best bet would be to just follow the rules and pay for insurance in the state of which you primarily operate the vehicle. Honesty is the best policy and policies get claims paid.

And so I shall do! Thank you for your knowledgeable responses!

Latest posts

Back