Automobile Accident High Deductible

Ajax2010

Hi everybody...

Here is my scenario:
My car was parked at a parking lot. Another vehicle hit my car on the passenger side. His front end sustained damage. According to the police report, the damage to my vehicle was estimated to be less than or equal to $1,000.00
The other motorist did not have any insurance at all.
My policy indicates I have Comprehensive and Collision, both have a $1,000.00 deductible.
Is it worth filing a claim to my insurance company?

Thanks in advance.

Yes.
It should not impact you, but the police have no good idea of what the repair bill will be.

You may have UMPD coverage, which may pay for the repairs since he didn't have insurance. Lots of 'oh by the ways' when it comes to UMPD, so just ask, let your insurance company do the checking.

I don't know Rhode Island laws, but, in most cases, since you are not at fault, the incident will have little to no impact on your insurance rates moving forward.

Alternatively, file in small claims for the cost of repairs against a person who couldn't afford insurance. Not the greatest chance of ever collecting.

Dan

This one is for Jack.

If cops knew auto damage then they would be insurance adjusters...

But seriously, the cop probably has no idea how much damage was actually done. It may be more, it may be less. Probably more, just depending on how many pieces were damaged and if there is any damage behind the body panels. Also, cars have gotten very expense to repair, particularly if any sensors were damaged.

At minimum, get an estimate from a body shop you trust before making a decision one way or the other.

Back