Automotive Professional Looking to Enter the Auto Damage Adjusting Field

Hello all,

I'm new here. I realize this isn't really an employment oriented forum, but I did notice a few employment related posts so I thought it wouldn't hurt to tell everyone who I am and what I'm wanting to do.

I am a fifteen year veteran of the auto glass industry and I am looking to switch career fields. I am wanting to move into the Collision / Auto Damage Adjusting field. Having owned my own glass shop now for many years I have experience with using various types of software to write estimates and I feel like the gap between what I currently know and what I would need to know to be a successful adjuster would only be a matter of a small learning curve. Is anyone here currently employed as an auto adjuster or have any contacts in that line of work?

I'm looking forward to reading the posts here and if anyone has any auto glass related questions (workmanship, claims, etc.) please feel free to reach out.

I have been an adjuster and manager for almost 20 years now with 3 different large carriers. My biggest piece of advice is to talk to adjusters you may come in contact with thru your glass shop. See how they like their jobs and who they are with. A significant majority of us hate the job. It is a high stress, high demand job.

If you still think it is a good fit the best route is to search online for a trainee position. Knowing about writing estimates is only part of the job. Companies want to know you are customer service oriented and can pass a licensing exam if applicable in your state. Training programs teach you estimatics, licensing, and all the other things they want.

Another piece of advice would be to get in with a stable, growing company. If you are willing to move promotions can come fast and advance your career. Working as an independent is an option as well but most of them want experience.

Hope this helps a bit

Good luck.

Thanks for the response, Slassco.

Every job has its pros and cons. Being in auto glass is pretty much the same as being an adjuster in terms of having to drive from location to location completing assignments and I would think the work would be for more analytical in nature than it is physical. I think the entire automotive industry is high stress, high demand.

~ Auto Glass Guy :1smile:

The Chicago auto appraisers are a well know independent auto Appraiser Company. They offer precise and complete appraiser services to their clients. They are a licensed and insured company that has been doing business since 1983.

Back