Avoiding the Long Pre-licensing Course in NY

I am new to the forums so hello to all.

I hope to be a producer for an independent agency in NY in the near future.

I was wondering if anyone can weigh in on my issue.

I would like to take pre-license course for P&C in NY state. However, they require 99 hours of schooling and it must be in a classroom setting (i.e. not online).

I will be based out of NY but I have friends in NJ and could theoretically set up a small office that I use on occasion there and get a physical mailing address etc.

I will need to get some sort of reciprocity since I will be primarily doing business in NY.

Is it worth going through the trouble to have a much shorter process?

Will it even work? I heard something about if you try to make NY your main location (even later on) then they will require you to retake the course to meet NY licensing requirements.

Hi. I am unwilling to invest 99 hours into my future career. Can you please help me?

Is that about right? Just take the classes, they require it for a reason.

Getting your P&C license in the State of NY by taking that pre-licensing course is going to be easier than moving to New Jersey, establishing residency, getting your license in New Jersey, then moving back to New York and changing your license to a NY license.

If you live in NY and will be doing business in NY, take the course. If it's too much of an investment, maybe you want to find a different profession.

It's easy to avoid the 99 hours. Just learn to ask if your "client" wants it supersized.

Rick

I thought he just needed to ask if they want fries with it.:twitchy:

Last edited:
Getting your P&C license in the State of NY by taking that pre-licensing course is going to be easier than moving to New Jersey, establishing residency, getting your license in New Jersey, then moving back to New York and changing your license to a NY license.

If you live in NY and will be doing business in NY, take the course. If it's too much of an investment, maybe you want to find a different profession.

I apologize if I wasn't clear. It is likely that I will set up a part time office in New Jersey in the near future either way. So this isn't as unnecessary of a hassle as it sounds.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
99 hours ? I believe its only 40 in NY for P&C

40 for L&H to the best of my knowldege.

It's 3 weeks long, 9am-5pm, and scheduling for class based courses in my area is infrequent.

NJ allows online courses which is an additional major plus.

Last edited:
Back