Avoiding the Long Pre-licensing Course in NY

I agree with all of you that he should take the class as a learning experience. However I do agree with Rob also because I did something similar. I lived in NJ but most of my business was in NY, I applied as a resident in NJ and did the online course work and applied for the non-resident after for NY.

Always check with the DOI for both states to see if it is legit for your situation as well.

They key difference there being that you did live in NJ so what you did was perfectly legal.

I agree with all of you that he should take the class as a learning experience. However I do agree with Rob also because I did something similar. I lived in NJ but most of my business was in NY, I applied as a resident in NJ and did the online course work and applied for the non-resident after for NY.

Always check with the DOI for both states to see if it is legit for your situation as well.

Exactly, you live in NJ which is where you are supposed to get your resident license.

This is New York's definition of resident.
Resident means - one who has declared New York as their home state. Non-resident means one who has declared a state OTHER than New York as their home state; home state is where a principal place of residence or business is maintained AND where the applicant/licensee is licensed in good standing for the lines of authority for which you are applying.

It sounds like the OP meets it on both requirements, both residence and principal place of business.

all bickering aside, no matter the pre-licensing course chosen there is still 1,000's of hours of training and reading and studying that has to be done to really know the insurance business.

so who really cares how much pre-licensing course time was taken? Get it done, get your license and then start learning all the other things you really need on a day in day out basis.

Taking the pre-licensing course and getting a license is a small part of the training required. Maybe taking the 99 hour course would be better i wouldn't know as i didn't go that route.

I do know, that the exam questions, do not come close to every day questions and problems in the insurance biz.

Exam questions = Multiple choice

real life questions = some random $hit just happened, will my policy cover this?

Hey guys,

Appreciate the constructive criticism. I decided to keep it straight and take the 99 hour class in NY (btw. I am & plan to be a straight shooter in business).

Just wanted to share my experiences so far:

I am just over 1 week through the 3 week course. It is supposed to be 9am to 5pm. The instructor gives us a 15 minute break in the morning, a one hour lunch break, and then lets us out at 2pm!

She keeps saying that we are "doing fine and are ahead of schedule" so she is letting us go home to "study for 4 hours each day".

She also isn't all that knowledgeable and when people ask certain questions she says we "just have to accept that lots of things in insurance aren't very logical and we should just memorize the rules" she also says discourages class discussion and likes to keep things moving.

So overall, for me, the 99 hour course is not turning out to be useful (just costs more). I am sure if I would have gotten a better instructor things would be different.

She is actually a good instructor. She is teaching you how to pass the test. And is trying not to get bogged down with all the dumb questions. And yes logic, sometimes conflicts with the real world. If she spends to much time on the BS question. you will be leaving at 7pm.

If she spends to much time on the BS question. you will be leaving at 7pm.

Well, I am paying for a course until 5pm so instead of dismissal at 2pm I think we can handle an hour or so of "BS questions". Additionally, instructor should offer to stay until 5pm to answer questions. Which she hasn't.

Well, I am paying for a course until 5pm so instead of dismissal at 2pm I think we can handle an hour or so of "BS questions". Additionally, instructor should offer to stay until 5pm to answer questions. Which she hasn't.

It isn't her job to teach you insurance. Her job is to teach you to pass the licensing exam.

That said, I'm surprised she is letting you go so early. When I took mine, we had to be there the entire 40 hours. If you were late, you had to make up that time. Apparently it was subject to being audited by the state with some repercussions if we weren't there the entire 40 hours.

I always got out early and no one complained. In fact, we were all annoyed with the guys that would ask dumb questions.

That said, have you considered asking the instructor to stay til 5?

FWIW- what you learn there probably isn't going to be nearly as helpful as when you start actually working.

Back