Awaiting KAPLAN Study Material, But in the Mean Time

Cantango1

New poster here so bear with me as I learn how your forum works.

I am looking into becoming an Insurance Professional. I have ZERO insurance experience and will be starting knowing basically nothing. Im hoping this is a good thing as I am a fresh slate. But even starting the first chapter of my reading material I feel a bit lost.

Either way, having no experience in the insurance field I have contacted local agents in the hopes I could find a "mentor". It seems this direction has paid off and have our first phone meeting tonight.

So in the hopes of making a great first impression, what are some questions you asked when you first started out ? What had you wished you had known/asked?

If it makes a difference I will be studying for Property and Casualty but will then focus my efforts on Equine and Agricultural.

I did search previous threads but didnt find anything that would really fit for what Im looking for. I apologize if this does exist, but feel free to point me to any other threads I will find helpful !!

Re: Awaiting KAPLAN Study Material, But in the Mean Time....

There is nothing you can do to make a good first impression. If you have a phone meeting you may have already made a good impression. The number one thing you want to do is be quiet and listen. I'd suggest you use the power of the internet, begin searching definitions of words or subjects within your study material you dont understand. This way with your new found mentor, you can focus on the things you couldn't find on the internet.

Thanks for the reply.

As I said I dont have any experiance in the field. I just recently purchased study material. So while your answer makes sense, At this point I dont understand any of it. Im afraid I would find myself googling for days !!!

Sometimes that's what it takes. I am also new to the business, but I have always had a curious mind and the first time I was presented with health insurance options I researched everything as I do with any new subject. I have years of experience in sales and I can tell you this much; days of research on google is only the beginning. Being in the sales industry your education does not stop from product knowledge to learning from mistakes and implementing new ideas in your marketing, proposals, networking, etc.

You didn't say exactly what line of insurance you plan to work in, but regardless of the line, you will NOT make it just by reading and taking courses. You need to align with an agency or some other support system.

You didn't say exactly what line of insurance you plan to work in, but regardless of the line, you will NOT make it just by reading and taking courses. You need to align with an agency or some other support system.

I made it by aligning with this forum, IHIAA, ILIAA, and watching training videos.

No upline support other than FMO people who were/are patient with me.

You don't have to start out with an agency, it can be done independent but you have to be willing to work.

In other words, you had a support system. But let's also be realistic. With 4-year retention rates in the industry around 11% (according to LIMRA) I don't want to blow sunshine up someone's skirt by telling them all it takes is a good attitude and hard work. There is nothing that replaces the ability to model and shadow others who have successfully done what you're trying to do, and that is easier accomplished up close and personal rather than online.

Yes, I know. Insurance seems much more "cut throat" than I had anticipated.

I will be studying for P & C but will then direct my focus to Equine and Agricultural. I have a strong equine backround and can relate to anyone in the field. This is why I decided to go this route. I am not trying to "get rich quick" I am trying to do something I will enjoy ( Equine ) without suffering the burn out of running my own barn. I have 6 years of office/billing experiance so can and will do office work but where I am at now is just not "IT" for me.

From what I am reading on the forum it seems not many people "make it" in the field. Im trying to prepare myself as best as I can.

I want to be prepared with the right questions so as to not be "blind sided" by something that I was not aware of.

Excellent information from Larry Tew and ksigmtsu.

I have been working towards starting a career in the industry since July of this year. Specifically, I want to work in the senior market - Med Supps and other related products.

I paid for my insurance licensing and training courses and have my L&H licensing. But this alone is not enough to make me ready to "sell insurance".

I have done a lot of research about the industry, Med Supps, Medicare/Medicaid, captive vs independent, etc. I have not made a final decision on which way I will go, but I know my preference is to find a local independent agency that specializes in the senior market and work for them for as long as I need to learn the business and eventually go out on my own as an independent agent.

This forum and the internet are just the tip of the iceberg. I spend a lot of time identifying insurance pros in my area and seeking their insight. I have also interviewed with some of the larger companies to gain an understanding of how they acquire and train new agents.

In summary, I believe I will have the best chance to succeed in this business IF I do a thorough job of research and make sound educated decisions based on that. Once I am "in the saddle" I know it is all on me to work hard, work smart, continue to learn my product and stay up to date on the industry. Persistence, discipline, time management, and continuous learning is what it will take, I believe.

I started with no support system and found training and resources. The hardest part is learning how to find prospects, then learning to not get in your own way selling them what they wanted.

Back