B to B results

Have you guys ever wondered if the mailman is tossing your stuff in the garbage, as soon as you bring that big sack of mail to the bulk mail dropoff place? I know it would be , like, well, a felony probably, or at the very least, very,very wrong. I have considered it as being a possibility, when I have mailed stuff and gotten poor returns.

The other possibility: they toss the wrong addresses. That's way more possible, and probable, because I think on bulk mail they are not obligated to return the wrong ones to you- at that cheaper bulk price.

If you're not using first class postage, you are flushing your money down the drain.

The price entitles you to receive corrections so your list stays nice and deliverable clean.

It's actually cheaper than that third class bulk mail dung.

This is all damn good stuff for us newbies/renewbies. I consider this back and forth between you guys some of the best advise any direct salesperson can get and its available to anyone who wants to read it.
I'm not confused that someone on here confidently extolls the virtues and failures of thier lastest and greatest marketing plans. I made 80 cold dials this morning, got 7 leads and yes, I know I will grow weary of it sooner rather then later. I complained to Paul my wrist was sore. He asked if I would rather have my arm sore from swinging a hammer as a roofer. I went back to dialing. This will not be my only marketing source as I am heading out the door shortly to do B2B. We will see how that goes. If my feet start hurting I'll call John and he can ask me if I would rather be standing next to road flipping a sign that says SLOW on one side and STOP on the other....

I made 80 cold dials this morning, got 7 leads and yes, I know I will grow weary of it sooner rather then later.

I doubt you'll grow weary of the money though :)

I complained to Paul my wrist was sore. He asked if I would rather have my arm sore from swinging a hammer as a roofer. I went back to dialing.

Cheetah software offers a way around the "my hand hurts." I believe a few guys' on the forum use that software. Gary's system also is a good way to go once you polish your telemarketing skills and have access to a list.

Mix and match. I think that's a problem new agents have - they think they have to plug away on the phone hour after hour, day after day. No - make calls, hit some B to B and mix it up. Join the chamber and start attending events.

There's a light at the end of the tunnel. I busted my ass to get off the ground but now my renewals pay 100% of my household expenses. Nice feeling. Can't imagine what the renewals will be like in another 5 years.

Now I know why I talk to senior agents (10+) years in this biz in my chamber and they're out playing golf all day. One of the agents teased me at the last meeting - called me a "newbie" (4 years in the biz and I'm still a newbie?) - said he'd invite me to play with him but I need to get back to work. Ouch.

Renewals - what a wonderful concept.

Lastly, generate your own leads - you're doing it right. Don't pay money to fight over who signs up the broke 28 year old. That's a trap you'll never get out of.

Depending on production you have to fight over brochures. Most health companies will start giving you a problem if you want more than 50.

When I did a trade show back on '04 I wanted hundreds of brochures from all the carriers. GR and Assurant coughed them up after some back and forth - no other carrier budged off 50.

I'm not talking Health Brochures, I understand they are stingy crowd to say the least! Yet life companies kick them out as fast as you want to order, AIG, Colonial, Conseco, IM and on and on. I have so many now I really don't see how I can ever run out.:D

The insurance companies marketing materials are so brutally ineffective, it's a joke. That financial strength crap, along with the "product driven" approach - people just don't care.

One of the best benefits of being independent is that you can do your own marketing materials - that actually have some client value and impact.

That is your problem, personally I just want something to hand them. They are colorful, heavy slick stock paper, very good presentation even if they are not sales oriented. They are however information oriented, I'll do the selling. Just want something to hand them to break the ice and since they are "Free" as in no "Cost" except for the 5 seconds it takes me do order them I'm quite happy. Plus I find many of them are read if the prospect is open to the idea, such as Worksite programs.

Here is an idea to mill over, someone suggested they can burn up an area quickly and be out of locations to visit close by them? Now I hit the same area at least monthly, of course hopefully with various types of programs, if Worksite Life next Worksite DI from various of companies. In fact after XX amount of visits they get the idea that I am working quite diligently for their business even if they say so in a sarcastic manner! As, "Oh, you are back?", which I reply, "Yes, buy something and you might be able to get rid of me!".:D

Most business people and self employed have nothing against someone that works, at least that is my experience.

Last edited:
NWInsurance had a great point, not to be overlooked. Go out there when the weather is bad, there's not nearly as many salespeople out. And the front desk person will often feel sorry for you, and the owner will respect you.

What do you guys recommend on how the agent should be dressed doing b2b to businesses under 20 employees?

Business casual or business attire?

I agree with M&M. How would their attorney/banker/cpa dress? I see too many agents dressing sharp casual for business, we all need to look professional.

How would you feel if you're there with a nice pair of slacks, long sleeve button down, no tie, and then another agent who chose to go with the tie and jacket walks in? More importantly, what kind of non verbal message is that sending your prospect.

I agree with M&M. How would their attorney/banker/cpa dress? I see too many agents dressing sharp casual for business, we all need to look professional.

How would you feel if you're there with a nice pair of slacks, long sleeve button down, no tie, and then another agent who chose to go with the tie and jacket walks in? More importantly, what kind of non verbal message is that sending your prospect.

I've done both, can not really say I notice a difference? I know this issue is debated but, I have heard good arguments on both sides. Yet, I find business casual preferable in the small group market.

Back