Back of Your Business Card

I have always viewed the back of my business card as an opportunity for a marketing message. Or, it would obviously be nice to have some bit of information there that would create additional value in the prospect keeping your business card for a practical purpose.

Prime examples here would be printing a calendar or schedule for tipping etc. Someone may then carry this card in their wallet for the additional benefits it provides them.

Now, back to the marketing message. Does anyone have any compelling information on the rear of your cards? Here are some loose examples I am considering. I’m looking for a brainstorm here. The goal is to get your prospects started in a conversation about some LTC products.

• DOES MEDICARE COVER LONG-TERM CARE? Medicare and most health insurance plans including Medigap(Medicare Supplement Insurance) policies don’t pay for this type of care called “custodial care.” Most long-term care is non-skilled personal care assistance such as help with everyday activities like dressing, bathing or using the bathroom.

• Who will provide your care if you need daily help with activities like dressing, bathing and using the bathroom?

• Find out how to receive over $10,000 for skilled nursing care regardless of whether your health plan approves it, or not.

• Find out how Medicare defines the “medically necessary” and why this could very well be the most important item for you to understand as it relates to your health coverage.

That should get us started. Pros, cons and observations appreciated.

Someone, believe it is Mark Rosenthal, has a tip chart on the back of their card. The idea is your prospect/client keeps the card and refers to it on a regular basis.

While I agree your card should convey a compelling message, perhaps even have a call to action, I don't think any of those lines will prompt someone to keep your card and refer to it.

Here's My Card is a great resource for anyone designing (or redesigning) a card.

I put the phone numbers to the local area agency on aging on the back of mine. They can use the number to find additional resourse, such as ride share, meals on wheels, home health care, etc.

Midwest, I'm liking your idea.

I spoke with forked tounge..I was speaking of resources on the back and then of compelling statements to start conversations about what I want to talk about.

Maybe a mixture of both will work but I like the telephone numbers idea.

With the senior market, I was worried that a tip chart or anything like that would be too small of print for the back of a card.

I had to put 5 numbers on the back of my card since I am on the border of 2 states (KS and MO) and there were some other local resourses that I put the direct number to rather then just the generic 1-800#.

Another agent I know is going to use pens and magnets. Pens stay in the purse and magnets stay on the fridge.

I used to have "My Card" on the back of my card.

Assuming the person you give your card to has at least some sense of humor, you say "Here's my card" and hand it to them with the "My Card" on the top. They stare at it for a second or two until they turn it over and get the joke.

It makes giving someone your card more of a memorable experience.

I seriously doubt that anyone is going to hang on to your card because of a tip chart. State Farm has the calendar thing covered. You can't really do a calendar unless you go to the expense of doing plastic cards --which might be a good thing.

With the senior market, I was worried that a tip chart or anything like that would be too small of print for the back of a card.

I had to put 5 numbers on the back of my card since I am on the border of 2 states (KS and MO) and there were some other local resourses that I put the direct number to rather then just the generic 1-800#.

Another agent I know is going to use pens and magnets. Pens stay in the purse and magnets stay on the fridge.

I use magnets. I have been in a client's home several years after selling them a policy and my card is still on the refrigerator.

The other thing I do on every appointment is staple a my business card to a manila folder, leave it with them and tell them that it is their "insurance folder".

This not only works with clients but also with prospects. I have had prospects contact me a year or more since I had an appointment with them and when I arrive at their home they still have the manila folder with my card attached to it.

Had I just left a card they would have either lost it or thrown it away.

I highly recommend using both sides of your card. If nothing else it doubles your chances of getting your message across.

If the question is should you use the back of your business card, I say the answer is yes.

Now the real question is what do you put on the back of your business card.

My goal is for the client to keep my business card and maybe use it later. On the front I put my contact info and some of my services on it that I think they will either need now or oneday.

I have a ton of different cards that I give out, each with it's own purpose. I go through a lot of business cards. I believe that business cards is a great tool that every agent should use.

Yes, on one type of my insurance cards, I do put the 15% tip on the back of the card. You don't have to use this, but try and put something on it, that will make them want to keep hold of your card. There are a couple of post on this subject that you can search for on this forum. I read where one agents was putting the meals on wheels number on the back of his card.

Let it be a trial and error process. These things are really cheap.

I use vistaprint.com and they are very cheap. I like them.

I have about 6 different types of cards. I have one card that I just give to everyone that I see. Like at the gas pump. I'm playing a numbers game. I have one type of card that I give to my client that I'm in front of on an appointment. I have a card for the client that I'm doing a living will on.

Don't make me go on and on about business cards.

Let me do say this, which is important. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, dont keep them in the box and never use them. Give them out daily. Each one is a free lottery ticket that may be a winner.

Also, I think it is important to have a website that you can put on your business cards, so they can check you out before they call you.

Make sure you give out at least 10 business cards everyday of you life. Even if you have to just hand it to them and say something simple to them and allow the business card to do the talking for you.

I have a hugh collection of business cards. I just don't throw them away. I use some of them.

Frank,
I love the manila folder idea. It's cheap and strong!

To add to that, maybe for a couple of bucks each, I could print whatever I want on an actual file folder. People would probably see more value in a folder with pockets:)

I'm going to use the manila folder idea to start off. Thanks for sharing.

In the "old" days we used to deliver life policies in a policy wallet. Some were cheap plastic while others had a leather look to them and some were more like a binder. There was a place to put your card and their FIRST policy. (The idea was you would sell them more and eventually fill up the book).

Back