Backed into Someone Else's Garage Door - Almost Unnoticeable Bent

justvisiting

Hi,

I was at someone else's house and backed into their garage door. I put on the break just in time, but the garage door got a slight bent, which is almost unnoticeable. The door opens and closes without a problem.

The owner knows that he can't ask me to replace it, because the damage is so minimal, but wants me to do something about the bent, because it supposedly could cause overload on the motor of the opener and shorten the life.

Other than having an expert come and check for the integrity of the whole system, I don't see how I can satisfy this guy, because, again, the bent is so minimal.

Should I just let my car insurance company take care of this? I understand that liability insurance would cover this.

I would appreciate your insight and/or similar experience.

Hi,

I was at someone else's house and backed into their garage door. I put on the break just in time, but the garage door got a slight bent, which is almost unnoticeable. The door opens and closes without a problem.

The owner knows that he can't ask me to replace it, because the damage is so minimal, but wants me to do something about the bent, because it supposedly could cause overload on the motor of the opener and shorten the life.

Other than having an expert come and check for the integrity of the whole system, I don't see how I can satisfy this guy, because, again, the bent is so minimal.

Should I just let my car insurance company take care of this? I understand that liability insurance would cover this.

I would appreciate your insight and/or similar experience.

I think you should get someone to inspect it first. The reason being is that depending on the cost and their professional opinion on potential damages in the future, it might not be worth getting the insurance involved.

Off topic. But having something like this happen on an appointment for me is a fear. I am always extra extra careful when moving my vehicle on a clients property.

Off topic. But having something like this happen on an appointment for me is a fear. I am always extra extra careful when moving my vehicle on a clients property.

Heck yeah man! I try hard to park on the street so that way there is no concern for liability on either side.

You'll have to have the panel on the garage door replaced and probably repainted to match.

It doesn't matter that it might wear the motor out at some point (it won't but hey, its a story). It does matter that you dented his garage door.

Have him file the claim. It isn't a big deal.

Not sure what state this is in, the end result will vary, but I'd rather have the insurance company take care of this type of problem, since he'll be blaming you for years to come for things that you didn't cause.

Dan

Back