Background Check Questions

badfilms

I just got an offer from NMFN and am required to do a comprehensive background check, of course. My question is this:

I have a DWI 1st offense, an underage possession of alcohol offense, & a possession of marijuana offense in addition to some other charges that were dropped, such as non-compliance and some other charges that I was found not guilty of (including a Null Processed Petit Larceny charge) that are likely not severe enough to be an issue. Is this enough for me to get denied? I understand that disclosing these charges and being detailed in the reasoning is key, but are any of these, such as the possession of marijuana, a deal breaker?

I was found guilty of both the DWI 1st offense and the underage possession charge (though the underage possession charge was supposed to be dismissed upon completion of probation but it is not appearing to show that in court documents). The marijuana charge was dismissed.

I was told that the underage possession of alcohol is a tough one because my state does not differentiate between underage possession of alcohol and using a fake ID (a fake ID is an automatic disqualifier) but I could likely still get approved.

Additionally, are these checks run nationally? For instance, is my record going to be run across all 50 states or just in my licensing state? I ask because I may (though I cannot remember the outcome and cannot find any information using online court records) have a charge from another state that I want to make sure I disclose.

Thank you in advance

Only the carrier will be able to make that call....Having said that it does not sound like stuff that would keep you from a license. It shows at some point in the past you made some bad decisions but acknowledge the mistakes and how you have changed your life around (this also the same advice I would give you for actually applying for a life insurance policy).

Why not tell the hiring manager about this? Show character by getting out in front of it. If he wants you, he'll go to bat for you and get an exception if necessary. But if he gets blindsided by it, he won't be as inclined to fight for you.

And if you tell him and he doesn't want you? Then it wasn't the right place for you anyway.

Back