BACON IS FOR CLOSERS...

The more research I do on these type of "Atkins, S Beach, Bacon" diets, the more I realize that it's time to commit to a "Plant Based" diet.

We saw this last night. I highly recommend watching it. Remember, it doesn't really get interesting until the second half of the movie.

I haven't watched this documentary. I did, however, start reading The Longevity Diet by UCLA Biochemist Valter Longo who has made a name for himself by making significant discoveries about how we age and how one's diet can be pro-aging (makes us old before our time) or anti-aging (keeps us looking young and beautiful). I think I may have posted a few videos of his lectures and/or interviews here, but if not, he is easy enough to find on youtube or around the internet.

He recommends a pescatarian diet, which is essentially largely vegetarian but with fish, eggs, some hard aged cheeses, and dairy products made from goat's milk allowed. His is a low protein, low sugar, low saturated fat diet. The emphasis is definitely on low protein and low sugar. He unfortunately does not mention the keto diet, and he lumps all low carb diets (e.g. Atkins, Dukan) as "high protein, high fat, low carb." This is unfortunate, because a keto diet is not high protein/high fat, it is low to moderate protein high fat.

His studies of mice have shown that a plant based low protein low sugar pescatarian type diet leads to the longest life span and preserves health, whereas the high protein high fat yields a less healthy mouse and decreases life span, though he notes that such a diet does control weight and prevent obesity.

So, one question I have is how would a low protein high fat diet compare with the low protein plant based diet? Other researchers, e.g. Dr Ron Rosedale have advocated lowering our protein intake as a means to lengthening our healthy life span, i.e. delay or eliminate diabetes, cardiovascular disease, cancer.

There are many questions as to what ultimately would be the healthiest diet for humans in general. I know from my own experience that the fatty meat, low to zero carb diet will bring my blood sugars under control, and will promote weight loss in the form of fat loss. Perhaps something to think about is once one reaches one's ideal body weight, look into using a plant based, pescatarian type diet to promote health and longevity.

I don't know the answer. But I do believe we can safely say that any whole foods based diet is better than the standard American diet of soda pop and cookies, cakes, candies, cereals, breads, and french fried potatoes. The one thing almost all of the current generation of researchers - whether vegan, vegetarian, keto, or carnivore - agree to is that sugar is the main cause of disease and pre-mature aging in modern human society.

Last edited:
The more research I do on these type of "Atkins, S Beach, Bacon" diets, the more I realize that it's time to commit to a "Plant Based" diet.

We saw this last night. I highly recommend watching it. Remember, it doesn't really get interesting until the second half of the movie.

So, are you a vegetarian Doug...or just researching?

So, are you a vegetarian Doug...or just researching?

Last year I cut way down on animal intake. It was easier to exercise, and my health "cholesterol" looked better. This year, I started eating more animal again and am seeing the health issues/struggles as a reminder of why I cut back last year.

The only thing that's stopping me from becoming a Vegan is my own lack of commitment and willpower.

It's funny when I look at the photos we took a couple years ago in Thailand, I looked pale and unhealthy. When you look at the photos from last year in Alaska, I was looking 5 years younger.

Last year I cut way down on animal intake. It was easier to exercise, and my health "cholesterol" looked better. This year, I started eating more animal again and am seeing the health issues/struggles as a reminder of why I cut back last year.

The only thing that's stopping me from becoming a Vegan is my own lack of commitment and willpower.

It's funny when I look at the photos we took a couple years ago in Thailand, I looked pale and unhealthy. When you look at the photos from last year in Alaska, I was looking 5 years younger.

I'm sure you know what works for you.

My daughter went the Veggie route and then on to Vegan. Her and her husband went through the drive thru window at Taco Bell and there was something missing, so her husband went inside. While he was inside, she couldn't resist and ate a taco. She lasted about 3 years on the VEGGIE/Vegan diet and a taco was her downfall.. She had her daughter on it, but her husband had to have his meat.

Last edited:
Today's food:

16 ounce cooked ground round
10 eggs
5 oz spinach
Half red pepper
5 baby carrots
2 scoops whey
12 oz almond milk
4 oz sweet potato

...All in one meal to boot.

Goal weight Wednesday AM - 180.5 to 181.0.

Plants are for closers.

I don't think we're there just yet lol

I would not do vegan for one simple reason: An diet that requires supplements or fortified foods rather than whole foods only to live is not the right diet for human beings. I think this is what stops Valter Longo, Ph. D. from recommending full veganism: Without vitamin B12, we will die. I could see eating a plant-based, whole foods diet that included fish and seafood as the only animal product, with perhaps some eggs, cheese, and dairy if one can tolerate it. That "lack of commitment and will power" you mention is likely your biology calling out for meat. Think about: Could anyone who works as hard as you do and produces as much as you produce seriously think you have a lack of will power and commitment?

Today's food:

16 ounce cooked ground round
10 eggs
5 oz spinach
Half red pepper
5 baby carrots
2 scoops whey
12 oz almond milk
4 oz sweet potato

...All in one meal to boot.

Goal weight Wednesday AM - 180.5 to 181.0.
What are you now?

This is my last day on the mostly meat diet(though I've been munching on a few pecans). I think I've posted some of these resuts a few days ago, but I'll include those days...the last 5 days were +1 lb., +1 1/2 lbs., -1 1/2 lbs., -1/2 lb., -1 lb. The 2 days that I gained, I kept eating when I was no longer hungry. Old habits are hard to break. That puts me at 14 pounds lost in 26 days.

I actually started the Bacon diet 30 days ago, but on days 2, 3 and 4 I ate the bacon, but I ate a lot of other stuff I shouldn't have, like bacon stew. :laugh:

Somewhere between 181 and 181.5, probably. Official weigh-in is WED AM each week.

How is your energy level?
I'm a LOT more energetic than I was. I feel like a new person. :jiggy:

Well as new as somebody with COPD can feel. :twitchy:

Seriously, I can't believe the difference. I've got to give up a lot of things that I love to eat, but it's well worth it for the better health. :yes:

Back