Bad Day - Should I have confirmed?

GreenSky

Guru
5000 Post Club
Henderson, NV
I just returned from a 200 mile roundtrip to see a prospect for Medicare Supplments. Bottom line is I told him on the phone last week that I could replace his AARP plan with another carrier and save he and his wife about $750 this year. Great! He said come on by this morning.

When I arrived after my 1 1/2 hour drive, he was not home. His wife said he went to the gym and can't be reached but will be back in about 1/2 hour. So I had a cup of coffee and waited for the phone call inviting me back.

When he did call 45 minutes later, he said "I'm sorry. My wife was very upset and doesn't want to change. I..."
Then I said, "goodbye" and hung up. I really couldn't care less about any bullcrap excuses. It's not his wife's fault he missed our meeting.

I don't like to verify appointments as it gives the prospect an excuse to change their mind. I figured that after driving 100 miles to see them, they would almost feel obligated to sign the application, especially when I could save them so much money.

I'm inclinded to send him a letter requesting he reimburse me for the gas. What I really want to do is make myself feel better by calling him every name in the book, and some that I'll make up.

Do you guys confirm appointments or just believe you're dealing with honest people?

Have to go pound sand now.

Rick

I feel for you Rick. While it wasn't as far as a drive (only about 50 miles round trip) I had someone bail on me today as well. It seems to happen less in the business market, but there was absolutely no one at this business today at all! I called, left a message, and won't be following up on this one.

I have never confirmed appointments either... basically for the same reason. I may start doing that though... If they really are interested, they won't cancel... so maybe it's a better way of qualifying prospects before we waste our time going out there to try and sell to someone who doesn't really want to buy.

Sorry to hear about your bad day. Tomorrow will be better!!

-Nate

Been there. Done that.

The best thing to is listen to the reason. They could have said something that you may have overcame.

Other then that, Crown Royal has always helped me.

I won't drive 20 minutes to see someone without first confirming before starting my engine.

But then, I have been in this business longer than most of the folks here and don't put up with much crap.

If they are going to back out, no show, (fill in lame excuse here) I might as well give them the opportunity before I spend my time & gas money.

Obviously no one feels "obligated" to sign the application, regardless of how far you drove to see them.

My clients are as honest as any of them (for the most part) but I do not trust them to do what they say, when they said they would do it.

I always verify appointments the day before. If they flake it saved me gas and time. I use Mapquest as my reason for the call - I don't want to come across as "you still want to meet...right?"

"Hey Tim? John here. Listen, I just printed out directions to get to your house from Mapquest and I just wanted to make sure that it's the fastest way."

Oh, and by the way, in a few cases I'm glad I made that call. Clients have told me much faster ways to get to them, told me Mapquest was flat out incorrect and told me about construction work. In many cases I get this:

"I'm glad you called. I forgot I have to give my cat a bath tomorrow so I need to reschedule."

Rule of thumb:

15 minutes away- No need to confirm

30 minutes away- No need to confirm unless it has been more than 4 days since you spoke

60 minutes away- Confirm by phone call

120 minutes away- Confirm by note in mail and phone call

180 minutes away- Confirm by note in mail, phone call and pay neighbor to make sure they tell you if they are home at time of appointment.

240 minutes away- You are either a camel or an elephant since you don't mind transversing long distances.

Not only do I confirm, but when I set the appointment they know I'm coming to do an app. They deserve to know that I'm not coming to give information.

Part of it goes like this: "....and once you choose a plan I can take care of the application and submit it. Approvals normally take around a week and you should have insurance cards in about 2 to 3 weeks."

That elicits one of two reactions:

1) "No problem. See you on Tuesday at 3pm."

2) "Well......we're really just shopping now and...."

Number #2 is a dead deal.

I have always been told not to set appointments more than 2 days out. This way clients do not forget and are usually there. Anymore that 2 days I follow up with...asking to make sure of the directions and color of house...something to make sure I will find them. Still I have some no show the next day they set the appointment...Oh she went to the river boat will be back around 5PM when the boat docks...well, the boat where they live never leaves the dock...you can board anytime...Did not follow up with this one.
Onbe day had 3 no shows on a 45 minute one way drive...
Go figure....

Agreed. People who claim they can't meet with you for a week are bad appointments. I also try to set the next day or following day. My max is 4 days out. If I can't set an appointment within 4 days I tell them I'll call back next week and we'll make arrangements then. I do not close people. I'm looking for people who are actively seeking to either get covered or lower their rate. You don't have to pressure those people - they usually confirm with me! Lol: "Ok John, so we're set for tomorrow at 3, right?"

Agreed. People who claim they can't meet with you for a week are bad appointments. I also try to set the next day or following day. My max is 4 days out. If I can't set an appointment within 4 days I tell them I'll call back next week and we'll make arrangements then. I do not close people. I'm looking for people who are actively seeking to either get covered or lower their rate. You don't have to pressure those people - they usually confirm with me! Lol: "Ok John, so we're set for tomorrow at 3, right?"

Your explanation would explain what I've been experiencing lately.

Back