Bad news for TN health agents

Looks like the state of Tennessee, fresh off its expert handling of TennCare, wants to get into the group market.

CoverTN

Basically, the state will pay 1/3 of the premium, the employer pays 1/3, and the employee pays 1/3. Also, it will be a portable plan, so the standard sales line about "getting your own policy in case you lose your job" doesn't work in this situation.

Further reading on the site indicates the creation of a risk pool for uninsurables and an attempt to cover all children living at a certain poverty level.

I wonder how long this will last.

Probably about as long as TennCare.

Govt officials never get it. They are the most incompetent, and inefficient when it comes to designing health insurance packages.

I did some research on CoverTn a few months back and felt it would ultimately fail. As I recall, it does not eliminate the agent, or the carriers. I don't think this will create problems for agents but rather opportunities.

Even more when it ultimately fails.

For at least the last 4 years Maryland has proposed a similar plan; a state-run health insurance plan for individuals where employees and the employer contribute. Sounds great. Hasn't passed. Won't ever pass.

john_petrowski said:
For at least the last 4 years Maryland has proposed a similar plan; a state-run health insurance plan for individuals where employees and the employer contribute. Sounds great. Hasn't passed. Won't ever pass.

Are you trying to tell me that TN is more progressive (liberal) then MD??? Or is it the portion that the person has to pay is what is holding it back in your Goose Stepping State?

Crap, this is in trouble already! Insurance Carriers have voice a concern exactly what TN in CoverTN expects for 150 dollars a month, and which the state wants no more then a $25 co pay for Dr's, $10 Prescription cost, 100 dollar Hosp. Co Pay and the list is quite telling. The Plan is needlessly now behind by 3 months at least and now 2-3 years before it starts to branch out to small businesses and individuals. This is starting to sound like it'll fail before January 07' its original date for availablility.

enrollment was supposed to start last month. Is anyone in TN involved with the program?

It appears to be a Basic plan with limited annual Dr visits and a $10k annual cap on hospital expenses. Not that great, but perhaps employers will be attracted to the low rates. Wonder if it's possible to lay the plan alongside a full insured medical plan. Anyone thought about doing something like that?

Last edited:
Even though individual agents will still sell this coverage, I don't see this becoming a cash cow for any agent. AccessTN, the individual risk pool product via BCBS, pays about $50 per application.

Back