Bankruptcy an Appointment Deal Breaker?

New Agent in OH

I recently got my license in Ohio after years of working as a CSR. Filling out my application for my first appointment and have to disclose a 4 year old bankruptcy- is this going to be a cause for denial?

I recently got my license in Ohio after years of working as a CSR. Filling out my application for my first appointment and have to disclose a 4 year old bankruptcy- is this going to be a cause for denial?

For most credit "checks" as long as been more than 2 years you are okay.

It's best to write an explanation letter as part of the submission. If you are going through an IMO, let your licensing dept. know before you submit the paperwork, as there may be other channels to route the paperwork through.

But if it's been discharged more than 2 years, that may not even be necessary.

Yep, in my experience the letter will do it. If you are already well acquainted with the important people at that particular carrier they can usually get you through no matter how long it has been.

It depends. If the bankruptcy has been cleared and your credit is good since probably not an issue to worry about. If you have other issues like tax liens that are unpaid, vector hits on your credit (you won't since you are newly licensed) or have other unpaid debts not in good standing, then may be an issue.

It may or may not be a deal breaker, depending on the company you are trying to obtain an appointment from. Two years or more since the discharge would generally free you. In any event, you do not need to bring it up; just be honest about it if it needs to be addressed.

Back