BCBS Maternity Rider

Schmelle

Good evening,
I am self-employed as is my husband, we carry BCBS PPO here in Florida. We are thinking of having a baby and want to add the maternity rider. I understand that we need to have it added 30days prior to conception in order for it to be valid. It is my understanding that it will cost 280 per month, 1500 deductible and then 50% copay after that for all costs involved in the pregnancy and delivery. We have a 5000 deductible on our policy.
My question is: How long does it take to add the rider? Days, weeks? We are hoping to start trying this September. Also, in any of your experience, is this the best bang for my buck? I hope this makes sense.
If any of you have a personal experience with this policy in Florida, I would greatly appreciate your incite.
Thanks in advance for your advise!

Just how much does it cost to have a baby in Florida?

2800 in premium + 1500 deductible + 50% copay. That is at least 4300 in fixed cost plus 50% of all expenses over $1500. Something tells me you could negotiate a cash price with the doctor and hospital for less than that.

Make sure you check the Blue Cross website there in Florida, as they're updating it with new and changed benefit information weekly.

Here in Illinois, Blue Cross suddenly stopped offering the Maternity Rider (on new and existing plans) on July 1st and removed all references to it in the quoting and brochures.

If you own a grandfathered plan now, and have higher income above 400% FPL, go ahead and get pregnant, keep your current plan, and pay cash for your delivery. Complications of pregnancy are covered by your plan.

If non grandfathered plan, and lower income, go ahead and get pregnant, and you'll be in month 5 by the time you can buy a new O'care plan with maternity. Final price will depend upon your income.

If Non GF, and higher income, you'll be paying for that baby regardless via higher premiums under O'care. You may find buying a new plan that will lock in a lower price until 12/14', and paying cash for the delivery will save you money.

Or, just call me for a free consultation 941 704 8148

When you asked Florida Blue, what did they say?

Bang, concerning maternity? Please tell me you're not serious.
Sorry about that, I did not mean in any way to offend. Obviously I'm serious about doing the right thing here. Did not mean to sound casual or offensive.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Maternity is no longer offered by FL Blue. Your medal plan will cover it. Switch Jan 1

I just got off the phone with an agent and this is correct. Im doing some research on it now. Looks like I will be able to add maternity in 2014.

Last edited:
Good evening,
I am self-employed as is my husband, we carry BCBS PPO here in Florida. We are thinking of having a baby and want to add the maternity rider. I understand that we need to have it added 30days prior to conception in order for it to be valid. It is my understanding that it will cost 280 per month, 1500 deductible and then 50% copay after that for all costs involved in the pregnancy and delivery. We have a 5000 deductible on our policy.
My question is: How long does it take to add the rider? Days, weeks? We are hoping to start trying this September. Also, in any of your experience, is this the best bang for my buck? I hope this makes sense.
If any of you have a personal experience with this policy in Florida, I would greatly appreciate your incite.
Thanks in advance for your advise!

Well I have seen all the replies and as a Florida Blue agent, yes we ceased selling the maternity rider on July 1. YAgent's scenario is your best bet. The agent that quoted you the price for that particular plan was way way off in the premium if you could have purchased it, doesn't cost that much for that particular plan. No you cannot add it to your plan Jan 1, 2014, you will have to purchase one of the new plans being offered starting Oct 1, to have maternity coverage in which case if you are above 400% of poverty level will be shell shocked at the premiums. As YA said if you're on a Grandfathered plan, save your money and when you get pregnant go to your doc and hospital and make a deal for a 50% discount to pay off before delivery and yes if you have a complication your present policy will pay that portion of the bill.

Back