BCBSIL Axing Commissions 2017?

Allen, how was the meeting?

It was hosted and presented by JEFF. He's the head of EBRM, Illinois's 2nd largest BCBS-IL MGA.

The 2017 plans were highlighted, but the really important stuff, like Commissions and PPO/HMO network compositions are still not known...even at this late date. However he did say that HCSC will release the BCBSIL commission schedule on October 10th. Will be 3 tiers for first year commissions, depending on how many policies you had on the books at the end of 2015. (Either 5/4/3% OR 4/3/2%)

Only about 1 hour, of the 4 hour seminar was spent presenting BCBSIL individual plan changes for 2017. The other 3 hours focused on Group and Senior Plans (MedSupp / Medicare Advantage) business.

One of the biggest takeaways for me is that every Exchange/Marketplace customer in Illinois who had/has AETNA, Coventry, United Healthcare, Land of Lincoln, and Harken, will need a new company for 2017. In 8 Illinois counties, including McHenry and Lake, BCBSIL will be the ONLY on-exchange carrier available.

What I'd like to find out is how to get a list of current Aetna, UHC, etc.. IFP customers in the state. (Legally of course.)

Allan did he mention about our renewals for the plans we wrote in 2014?

It was hosted and presented by JEFF. He's the head of EBRM, Illinois's 2nd largest BCBS-IL MGA.

The 2017 plans were highlighted, but the really important stuff, like Commissions and PPO/HMO network compositions are still not known...even at this late date. However he did say that HCSC will release the BCBSIL commission schedule on October 10th. Will be 3 tiers for first year commissions, depending on how many policies you had on the books at the end of 2015. (Either 5/4/3% OR 4/3/2%)

Only about 1 hour, of the 4 hour seminar was spent presenting BCBSIL individual plan changes for 2017. The other 3 hours focused on Group and Senior Plans (MedSupp / Medicare Advantage) business.

One of the biggest takeaways for me is that every Exchange/Marketplace customer in Illinois who had/has AETNA, Coventry, United Healthcare, Land of Lincoln, and Harken, will need a new company for 2017. In 8 Illinois counties, including McHenry and Lake, BCBSIL will be the ONLY on-exchange carrier available.

What I'd like to find out is how to get a list of current Aetna, UHC, etc.. IFP customers in the state. (Legally of course.)

At least it's some indication that they are willing to pay. Did they say anything about group prices and commissions? This year small group were similar to individual prices, but they had the broad PPO option. For a couple of my clients this might be a better option next year.

Allan did he mention about our renewals for the plans we wrote in 2014?

Sorry, but there was no discussion of renewal commissions regarding existing business, other than the "Grandmothered" and "Grandfathered" plans get to stay another year. I have bunch of people who will be glad to hear that.

----------

At least it's some indication that they are willing to pay. Did they say anything about group prices and commissions? This year small group were similar to individual prices, but they had the broad PPO option. For a couple of my clients this might be a better option next year.

Blue Cross believes that they've raised IFP premium enough, and trimmed the Network Offerings enough, to make a profit in 2017.

They really want us to go after those who are uninsured at this point. They are healthy.

A chart was put up showing that BCBS-IL Small Group will be less than Non-Subsidized BCBS IFP premiums for 2017. No specifics though.

One thing I didn't quite comprehend was the TeleDoc requirement for the PPO plans. It's something new, allowing clients to be diagnosed on the phone, before going in to see the doctor. I hope it's not a requirement, to trim cost.

A trusted colleague in Texas says that the commission will be 5/4/3%, depending on how many policies you had on the books in 2015. It's supposed to be posted to the BCBSIL website on 10.10.2016.

OH..by the way, the seminar presenter says to be our toes regarding the "Stay Blue" campaign this year. HE BELIEVES that our names are not on the letter that clients will be receiving, or the "Stay Blue" renewal portal. The campaign will be different in several ways this year, than it's been in the past years. Once again, a lot of last minute decisions being made in this area too.

They really want us to go after those who are uninsured at this point. They are healthy.

To get them, they have to have the cheapest plan, which is not the case at least in the cook county. People who haven't bought insurance till now, won't suddenly decide that they need to pay a few hundred more for a plan, unless they have become sick recently.

Last edited:
To get them, they have to have the cheast plan, which is not the case at least in the cook county. People who haven't bought insurance till now, won't suddenly decide that they need to pay a few hundred more for a plan, unless they have become sick recently.

You make a good point. The 2.5% penalty for not having health insurance is not going to push these people to pay for an expensive non-subsidized Obamacare plan, regardless of how badly Blue Cross wants them.

But there are some people who got sick or had an injury this year, who didn't have health insurance. Plus a ton of folks are being left hung out to dry by Aetna, United Healthcare, LOLH, Coventry. The big problem is finding them. Blue Cross of Illinois is coming out with flyers, but due to the big shake-up in their I.T. department, and layoffs company-wide, a lot of things are in disarray.

Why HCSC choose to initiate so many internal changes right before annual open enrollment of Medicare and Obamacare is mystifying.

Why HCSC choose to initiate so many internal changes right before annual open enrollment of Medicare and Obamacare is mystifying.

Agreed. They should hire someone to read this forum, they would get plenty of good advices how to improve their operations.

Sorry, but there was no discussion of renewal commissions regarding existing business, other than the "Grandmothered" and "Grandfathered" plans get to stay another year. I have bunch of people who will be glad to hear that.

----------

Blue Cross believes that they've raised IFP premium enough, and trimmed the Network Offerings enough, to make a profit in 2017.

A chart was put up showing that BCBS-IL Small Group will be less than Non-Subsidized BCBS IFP premiums for 2017. No specifics though.

One thing I didn't quite comprehend was the TeleDoc requirement for the PPO plans. It's something new, allowing clients to be diagnosed on the phone, before going in to see the doctor. I hope it's not a requirement, to trim cost.

A trusted colleague in Texas says that the commission will be 5/4/3%, depending on how many policies you had on the books in 2015. It's supposed to be posted to the BCBSIL website on 10.10.2016.

OH..by the way, the seminar presenter says to be our toes regarding the "Stay Blue" campaign this year. HE BELIEVES that our names are not on the letter that clients will be receiving, or the "Stay Blue" renewal portal. The campaign will be different in several ways this year, than it's been in the past years. Once again, a lot of last minute decisions being made in this area too.

I'm going to give the TX answers ;)

1. Current clients will be paid on the 6-6-6-4(3? AC-do you have the schedule that was prior to 4/1?) scale. On the lowest premium. So if you had a new customer at $1K for 2016, you are getting paid 6%. In 2017, the premium is $1500, but you are still getting 6% on the $1K. (Unless there is a dependent addition. Then you get the new premium. But if there is a dependent reduction, you get adjusted down)

2. GF/GM clients continue on at 15% or whatever it was we were getting.

3. Uninsured makes sense. They are healthy. That helps the pool.

4. TX Small group is pretty close on the numbers, when comparing the HMO to the PPO. If you go HMO to HMO, its about 20% less than Indy. But they have significantly tightened up the rules on groups.

5. Teledoc is NOT a requirement. Its an add-on to every plan. (In TX, we also got Urgent Care covered at your regular copay, if its not an HSA or $0 copay plan. No clue on IL). It makes a lot of sense. You tell people they can call the doc and get a generic RX sent to Walgreens. Costs them $25(?), less claims hassle, etc. Or you go to the PCP and they deal with that. Plus, it will help with the "I can't get into to see my PCP for 4 months" phone calls.

6. We got a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT ANSWER on Stay Blue:
  • Its information only
  • If they log in, our info pops up
  • If they call Stay Blue, we will keep it
  • If they call cust service, no promises
I don't have a lot of sympathy on this one. Why are your clients going to Stay Blue, anyway? If those letters go out on 10/25 (estimate), shouldn't they have already heard from their agent? Also, the letters will be under correspondence on RPP. However, we had a BCBS VP giving our lecture. Not a GA. Two different sides of the story, perhaps?

Don't even get me started on a massive IT overhaul in September. (And I promise, you, they have heard about it. But the bureaucrat is so massive over there, it doesn't matter.)

I'm going to give the TX answers ;)

1. Current clients will be paid on the 6-6-6-4(3? AC-do you have the schedule that was prior to 4/1?) scale. On the lowest premium. So if you had a new customer at $1K for 2016, you are getting paid 6%. In 2017, the premium is $1500, but you are still getting 6% on the $1K. (Unless there is a dependent addition. Then you get the new premium. But if there is a dependent reduction, you get adjusted down)
How about if they will actively change plan?

Back