Beauty Salons As Targets

Veronica

Expert
The other day I was looking in the yellow pages for potential prospects, and I came up on 100's of beauty salon owners. Has anyone on here ever tried to sell the disability income policies to them? If so, did you get to close a lot of sells in this particular market?

It's tough.

They usually don't stay on the books very long, due to the fact that, if they decide not to rent a seat in the salon, they evaporate, and you'll never catch up with them.

Most of them move around a great deal, provide you their cell phones as their primary numbers, because "the phone company is trying to straighten something out, and their home phone ain't connected yet."

That's the indy's. The major chains, you have to go through their managers, who have to get it approved through their bosses, who have to get it approved, and by the time you get an answer, the one's you want on the coverage, have moved on.

I tried targeting chefs and salons, and found both to be very tough to keep on the books, after a very arduous and tiring underwriting process.

Usually, there will be a pre-ex with carpel tunnel, or a tenderness with a ligament, or several puncure wounds. Their hands are their livelyhood, and unfortunately, they don't want to talk to you, until they are sent to the ER for one of these. That's when they usually decide to get into the insurance business. (very little joke there).

Last edited:
Gee #2, sounds like you have been there, done that.

I especially liked this one.

"the phone company is trying to straighten something out, and their home phone ain't connected yet."

I have folks who are not stylists that use a similar line on me.

Actually, I have a lady who buys, cancels, buys again, cancels and has done this maybe 3x over the last few years. She has worked for someone, had her own shop, now back to contracting again. Nice lady but I probably should change my number & email.

She keeps finding me.

Gee #2, sounds like you have been there, done that.

I especially liked this one.

I have folks who are not stylists that use a similar line on me.

Actually, I have a lady who buys, cancels, buys again, cancels and has done this maybe 3x over the last few years. She has worked for someone, had her own shop, now back to contracting again. Nice lady but I probably should change my number & email.

She keeps finding me.

I tell those types to "take a hike" politely. I don't have time for it. I had a lady with a FE policy do that. On the third lapse she called again.

"I'm sorry Pat... I can't help you anymore." "Maybe another agent or company would be best for you."

You don't make any money on those clients so why keep working for them?

I don't "work" this lady. She keeps signing up thru my website and then dropping. Haven't spoken to her in over a year.

Free money.

Well as far as business owners, which ones do you find to be more trust worthy to write business on.......with the disability income policies or health plans in general?

It's not either/or.

Business owners need health insurance, DI and BOE.

Finding someone who qualifies for all 3 and has the funds to pay for the coverage is the issue.

The big problem I have run into is these people make a lot of cash. So they are not claiming what they really making.

I have never really tried to prospect directly to Beauty Shop owners, however I did find that they can be a great source of referrals. I go to the same barber/hair stylist like clockwork every month. I often chat her up about how her business is going and it always turns into how my business is going. Because I have a good relationship with her, she has been sending me about 4 referrals a month for either health or life insurance for the past year. I think this is a better route to find people to sell to than just hitting up beauty shops. At least it worked for me personally. Just find a good busy stylist/barber who is talkative (they almost all are, but some are better than others) and they will oftentimes do the rest for you.

Last edited:
Back