Become a Registered Member

[FONT=Verdana","sans-serif] As a new Moderator on the Forum, I have been contacted by a number of members, suggesting that I do what I can to encourage casual Forum viewers to become active members. There are 30,000 registered members here and another 50,000 who view on a regular basis, but do not register.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana","sans-serif] As with any Forum, there are always a number of core members who post regularly. However, the majority of viewers never participate.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana","sans-serif] Why is that? The consensus is that many are intimidated and don't want to be embarrassed or take a beating by posting something that sounds amateurish or stupid.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana","sans-serif] If you're new to the insurance industry there is no better place to learn and be educated about the business than right here. Someone new needs a mentor to walk them through the process and if need be, hold their hand. Forum members have many years of experience and we are happy to share that experience and answer your questions if asked. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana","sans-serif] Yes, you need thick skin and a really good sense of humor to put up with some of the characters who reside here. But, if you've chosen the insurance industry as a career, you're going to need thick skin and a sense of humor to be successful.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana","sans-serif] So, why should you viewers become members? What can this Forum offer you? I did a search and picked some comments that will address those questions. These are random posts that will hopefully give those that just view, a reason to become active member sand participate. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana","sans-serif] If anyone has suggestions on how to make this a better Forum, please don't hesitate to send an email or PM to any of the Forum Moderators.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana","sans-serif]_________________________________________________________________[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana","sans-serif]"I've learned a lot of good stuff from this forum and saved alot of money also. This forum is a great tool. A great place to share ideas and get feedback from other agents. It is also a good place to vent about problems" [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana","sans-serif]"I'm new to this site, but I think it'll be helpful, I would not spend time on it if I thought it was a waste. I'm hoping it will be some extra networking and a place to share ideas in a non-competitive environment".[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana","sans-serif]"I have been an independent a long time. This forum has provided a place to network with other agents. To see how experts do what they do. What companies they use and why. It has broadened my field of vision. Being a Lone Wolf can get lonely and narrow your world view. I think that I am a better agent because of the information I have gleaned from this site. It's also a great place for a chuckle"[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana","sans-serif]"The Forum is a great resource for young and old, experienced and inexperienced,fantasy football players and proponents of Iran's nuclear ambitions. We have it all here!" [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana","sans-serif]"The best analogy I can come up with is it's like an old man's bar. There are a bunch of really experienced guys and girls on here that can be helpful, but also enjoy the opportunity to be grumpy." [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana","sans-serif]"Being an independent agent is a lonelier job than being a Maytag Repairman. I would very seldom get the opportunity to talk to others who understand what I do.Many times I felt like I was out there all by myself. Not now. I have made many friends across the country and when I'm having a really crappy day there is always an ear ready to listen to me bitch a little." [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana","sans-serif]"As a new agent trying to learn the business, I find the forum very informative and much more entertaining than insurance publications". [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana","sans-serif]"Friendships,information, and entertainment. "[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana","sans-serif]"There are some very smart guys & gals in here that share good information. You can learn from others successes and not have to repeat their mistakes" [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana","sans-serif]"I for one am very happy that I found this site, it is helping me to plan/envision my future. I also know that there is a support group here and a few people that I want to contact when I get my license. I already admire a few people and hope to get a mentor or two from the forum". [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana","sans-serif]"There is definitely a lot of very knowledgeable people on this forum, and a few that offer really great services. The rest is just good entertainment which keeps all this boring insurance stuff interesting".[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana","sans-serif]"This forum is a great place to interact with top professionals in the industry. No matter how many years you have been doing insurance or financial products you can learn a new idea. Also I found a lot of nice and helpful folks on thisforum".[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana","sans-serif]and, my favorite.....[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana","sans-serif]"Where else can you be entertained for such a low price?"[/FONT]

Last edited:
All of those quotes give good valid reasons to join. I remember the relutance that I first felt but that soon disappeared. Come on in the water is fine.

All of those quotes give good valid reasons to join. I remember the relutance that I first felt but that soon disappeared. Come on in the water is fine.

Most on here are brilliant. The few that are aholes scare the newbies away from asking questions. That's just the way it is. They would rather not hassle getting humiliated than getting their answer somewhere else. Otherwise I agree.

The few that are aholes scare the newbies away from asking questions. That's just the way it is. They would rather not hassle getting humiliated than getting their answer somewhere else. Otherwise I agree.

I'd have to agree. You need to have a thick skin at times. Ignore the people that aren't helpful and gravitate to the ones that are. There are probably some reasons behind the adversarial nature. Sometimes it helps stimulate a deeper debate on a particular subject.

Last edited:
I believe that this forum represents a good cross section of who agents are across the country. Even more than who just agents are, it is a representation of who people are in general.

It also represents who the people are that we will encounter when trying to sell insurance. (Almost all agents have purchased insurance from someone else.) If people can't handle the agents who are on here because they "get their feelings hurt" then how are they going to handle dealing with the general public?

I think this is a good proving ground for a new agent to see if he/she has what it takes to deal with the public on a daily basis. Some of my best clients were real jerks the first time I talked to them. And, some of them still are. :D

Arthur, I have been a member for a while, and have obtained quite a bit of useful information from the the various forums. I always check this forum and find it quite useful.
Although I do understand that an agent needs to have a thick skin, it is quite clear that some of the comments on the various forums have a tone that are more appropriate to a middle school playground than on a forum for professional discussion.
When someone asks a naive or uninformed question and then gets flamed, it reflects poorly on the person who is doing the flaming, not the person asking the question. A polite response is always better for forum discussion than rudeness. One can give strong effective responses without resorting to the level of the playground. From my limited memory, the rude responses are more likely to be on other forums (not so often on the LTC forum).

Arthur, I have been a member for a while, and have obtained quite a bit of useful information from the the various forums.I always check this forum and find it quite useful.
Although I do understand that an agent needs to have a thick skin, it is quite clear that some of the comments on the various forums have a tone that are more appropriate to a middle school playground than on a forum for professional discussion.
When someone asks a naive or uninformed question and then gets flamed, it reflects poorly on the person who is doing the flaming, not the person asking the question. A polite response is always better for forum discussion than rudeness. One can give strong effective responses without resorting to the level of the playground. From my limited memory, the rude responses are more likely to be on other forums (not so often on the LTC forum).

Yup..........
You're right in your assessment. A playground is a pretty good analogy and in a playground you're going to find a mix of all sorts, including bullies, jerks and those that are rude.

This forum is what it is. Every poster has stated that if you're going to become an active member, you need thick skin. Some have that and others don't.

Unlike other forums on the internet, you are allowed to post just about everything here, with very few restrictions and that's what makes it so successful.

You correctly state:
"I always check this forum and find it quite useful"

So, at the end of the day, if yoou're looking for an insurance forum you have 2 choices:
1) Remain a member of the largest insurance forum on the internet with 30,000 active members.
2) PM me and I'll be happy to give you the addresses of 2-3 other forums where you'll possibly see 1 post every 2 weeks and have your posts immediately deleted if it doesn't adhere to strict posting rules & regulations.

Hopfully, you'll wind up hanging in here with us..........

Most on here are brilliant. The few that are aholes scare the newbies away from asking questions. That's just the way it is. They would rather not hassle getting humiliated than getting their answer somewhere else. Otherwise I agree.

They didn't scare me away and I have asked some dumb questions. Live strong!!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Last edited:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

A name like Toehill probably made you strong! ;)

I enjoy this forum very much. I've learned a lot & frequently get ideas or information to check out. AND I always get my laugh of the day!! I can deal with the sports nuts, but there are a couple of posters I totally ignore because their comments make no sense or are combative.

Back