Becoming a State Farm Agent

shawn17ths

I've recently spoke with a State Farm recruiter. I am planning on trying to pursue the opportunity that State Farm has to offer...

What should I expect from this? Is there anyone that has had experience with this process? Does anyone have any advice regarding anything to do with becoming a State Farm agent such as likely hood of success, are the products competitive enough to sell without having to beg people, etc etc.

Sorry I'm so vague, I'm just kind of looking to find out anything and everything about this before I jump into this career change.

State farm is pushing hard around here for recruits, in TX, wanting to grow. I had always heard they prefer a 4 yr degree, maybe not, but you probably have that. The goal is to have your own office eventually, I would imagine.

Most State Farm agents do very well. They have a secret recipe for success, that works well for them. It's not for everyone though.

Agents keep a very clean book of business, low loss ratios.
It's hard to find clients, but they become very loyal once found.
Customer service is a requirement.

It's a decent way to go. When I looked into it, I was amazed at how upfront they were with me on the opportunity and the challenges. It's a long road from when you start down the path to getting your own office, but it can be a very rewarding one.

Dan

State farm is pushing hard around here for recruits, in TX, wanting to grow. I had always heard they prefer a 4 yr degree, maybe not, but you probably have that. The goal is to have your own office eventually, I would imagine.

State Farm used to be the prime insurance job. I don't know about that anymore but certain it's still a great opportunity. They've had issues like everyone else but still a top company. If I were starting out in insurance and had the chance to work there I would.

I am currently pursuing a State Farm opportunity as well. So far, I have made it past their LIMRA 'screen' and they are doing the background check. I received a call today about my credit. Everything is perfect except a disputed medical bill from 2001 for $300. I was told that it had to be resolved or it was a deal breaker (assuming there is a deal here in the first place).

Otherwise, I am waiting for a DVD packet to come in the mail and provide more information?

It does seem like the process is a long one so far...

Thanks for the information guys. I've been talking to the recruiter for my area and also another State Farm agent. I have absolutely no experience in the insurance business so he advised me to start out as a team member to get my foot in the door and learn the business a little and then from there try to go forward with becoming an agent and owning my own office. He is confident that he can get me on somewhere as a team member. I'm not really sure what that means as far as job wise, but it seems like a good chance for me to get my feet wet and learn the business.

Does this seem like a good idea? And another thing, the thought of becoming an independent agent down the road is still lingering in my head. Would this be a good way to learn the ins and outs of the business and give me the experience I would need to maybe one day go independent? And if so, what are the pros and cons of being an independent agent as opposed to owning my own State Farm office?

.....Everything is perfect except a disputed medical bill from 2001 for $300. I was told that it had to be resolved or it was a deal breaker (assuming there is a deal here in the first place).....

Interesting! This shows that SF is very careful of agents backgrounds and do not want someone if there is any credit (integrity) issues. I like that although it could make it hard for some people. To me this says they look for quality.

XRAC are you questioning my integrity? How dare you! Kidding...

Anyway, I got the DVD packet and it is not what I expected. I thought it would be more specific about the opportunity. Turns out is is a recruiting DVD with a bunch of agents saying how great it is to work at State Farm. Oh yeah, and more paperwork of course...

XRAC are you questioning my integrity? How dare you! Kidding...

Anyway, I got the DVD packet and it is not what I expected. I thought it would be more specific about the opportunity. Turns out is is a recruiting DVD with a bunch of agents saying how great it is to work at State Farm. Oh yeah, and more paperwork of course...

You know and I know that there can be legitimate reasons why a bill is disputed. It just says that SF is very cautious and conservative.

I've recently spoke with a State Farm recruiter. I am planning on trying to pursue the opportunity that State Farm has to offer...

What should I expect from this? Is there anyone that has had experience with this process? Does anyone have any advice regarding anything to do with becoming a State Farm agent such as likely hood of success, are the products competitive enough to sell without having to beg people, etc etc.

Sorry I'm so vague, I'm just kind of looking to find out anything and everything about this before I jump into this career change.

As long at you've got about 100k laying around to get your office up and running and 2-5 years before turning a serious profit I think it's a great place to start. Ok...a little sarcastic...before moving in that direction you need to talk to half a dozen agents that have started their agencies in the last 5 years and then make your decision. My two cents are they were a great company for the agent two decades ago and they are currently a great company for State Farm.

Back