Becoming Independent For Health and Life

brian41527

I am looking into selling health and life independently. I have been tryin to find out if I need a business license. I know I need a health and life ins. license, but do I also need a business license? I live in WV

Re: Becoming Independent..

I am looking into selling health and life independently. I have been tryin to find out if I need a business license. I know I need a health and life ins. license, but do I also need a business license? I live in WV

I doubt it unless you have a physical business location then perhaps.

If you plan to solicit residences door to door, you'd need a solicitors permit to be related to a city business license.

Like xrac said, if you have a business location, you'll probably need one. I would *think* that if you had a direct door to the public, then you'll have to have one.

For example: if you have a State Farm insurance office in a retail strip mall, then you'd have to have one.

If you have office space in someone else's business (like an virtual office system), you probably don't need one.

Also, if/when you have employees, you'll likely need a business license.

These are purely my assumptions. Check with your city.

If and doubt, get the city license and don't worry about it ever again.

I have a business lic, after they came inside my office and told me that I have to have one..

But if I had work out of my home, I don't think I would have needed one.

We have a fair amount of brokers in WV and I don't know of many that have a business license other than those who have a physical office location (outside of their home). If you are going to door to door solicitation (door knocking) then I would definately check to see if your city requires a solicitation license. I know several of our MGAs contact local law enforcement ahead of time if they are planning to do concentrated door knocking with multiple agents in a specific area. This avoids any problems with someone calling about suspicious people in the neighborhood (might be overkill, but they never have had any problems). Please note that this is for Medicare Supplement, final expense, cancer/heart attack/stroke plans and other products...not Medicare Advantage or PDP.

Good luck

David

Senior Benefit Services, Inc.
www.srbenefit.com
(800)924-4727

Back