Begin with "Natural Market" or Leads?

nroden

I began with one of the larger Life insurance/Med Sup companies in 2019. I will be honest, it was a rough year.

After launching, I began by contacting my "Natural Market." This was over 200 contacts that I came in with and had submitted their contact information, as well as their occupation and what I thought their income was.

I had some frustrations during this time. Despite what experienced agents said was the case with past sales directors, my sales director didn't work any appointments with me during the first month. Now, this was his first year as management and with the company, so I think he was finding his way in his new position as well. Instead, he had me run appointments with another advisor, who had just came with him from another company. While the sales director took off early or played golf, most of my appointments were with this agent who was just learning the details of the products, illustrations, and software. With this joint work, I had to split the application counts and commission. Some of the experienced agents told me that it was not supposed to work this way and that in the past, the sales director worked right beside you during the beginning months. A month or two in, I think something was said to the sales director by his manager, and he did offer to do one or two appointments a week with me, but by that time I was struggling to find new prospects. Much of my natural market had been worked, and was not impressed. As someone from a more customer-service oriented background, I know we could have answered questions better, and taken a few more apps.

Another issue, was that I was commuting from a rural community about half an hour away from the office. Most of my life has been spent 30 minutes to 1 hr and 20 minutes from our closest hub city. That initial joint work was done with another agent on the phone. Older agents have told me that going out to meet with the clients is much more effective, especially in rural, small towns.

My initial contract required certain goals be met, and I confess that I didn't hit those goals. I take full responsibility. I am also not the coolest, slickest guy, and I suspect that my sales director never thought I'd be successful. I also now realize that while I do know some people who have done well financially, the people I see every day in my community are (for the most part) not able to afford a lot. I am now on a different contract, without goals, but I figure that this allows me the ability and time to learn more and find my own way.

I know that 92% of agents fail in this industry, and believe that some of this may be self-fulfilling prophecy. I have also read that it is better to begin working leads, then eventually come back to your natural market? Have you found this to be true?

I am currently working a part-time job, trying to regain my personal financial cushion that took a hit during 2019. I have spent the past 2 months studying and learning all I can about this business and the products, strategies, and sales process, as well as how to successful in life in general. Then, in late February or early March, I plan to relaunch myself with leads, both bought and facebook generated. I plan to work my own system, traveling to several surrounding counties that include some larger towns, in order to reach my goals. Then, in 2021, I plan to either get my Series 65 or 6/66, then go back after another better contract with the same company. If not, I will at least have production numbers to show!

If anyone has any feedback or advice, let me know!

It's a shame that an industry that offers so much potential... doesn't train many people in how they can reach their potential.

I'd start here:
https://insurance-forums.com/community/threads/guidance-for-new-life-agents.29999/

As far as leads vs natural market - it depends on what you're selling.
- If you're selling term & final expense... then I'd stick with leads and read up in the final expense sub-forum.
- If you're selling annuities, whole life or IUL, and since you stated you wanted your securities... then you need a "package" to offer. Once you know your package and the experience you are bringing the prospect (not 'experience' as in years/expertise, but an experience that can be naturally shared with others)... THEN you can do very well with a warm market and getting referrals.

These are the skills you'll want:
1) Fact-finding & financial concepts. I recommend learning from the Insurance Pro Shop guys for $30/month. In fact, they have a free trial deal for 30 days for $1, so start there. Yes, they have other systems you can buy - and I do recommend them - but I recommend the video training first before spending money on their systems. Don't forget their webinars too! There's great content in those!
https://www.insuranceproshop.com/insurance-sales/

2) Learning how to ask for referrals. I love Sandy Schussel's training on this and you can get it for $37 and it's better than any other coach I had heard before or since. He'll teach you how to ask without being needy, greedy, or with any gimmicks. Just being sincere, genuine, authentic... yet with proper positioning.
Products - Intensive Coaching for Financial and Insurance Professionals | Build Confidence, Improve Communication, Lead

3) Once you know who you are and what you do, it's time to package it in a prospecting message called "The Explanation of Services". You can get an idea about this from Thomas Love (a 7-figure Ohio National producer). He has a course for $297.
https://www.theexplanationofservices.com

Here's his MDRT presentation in 2015 to give you a head start:

I think all of these things can be very helpful for you.

Congratulations on recognizing your short falls, now do something about it. Go back to your natural market. Dress like them, talk like them, be them. You know more about your product than they know so circle back. What wasn't needed last year might be a need now and those close to you sometimes like your ability to reach out one more time. Get some leads but don't commit to any package because you will go broke

By the way - yes, you do need to ASK for referrals. Let me give you my real life example.

About 10 days ago or so, I had ONE recommendation on LinkedIn. I asked many of my current connections and posted a request in our Facebook group that, if I had had any help or impact to you, to please leave me a recommendation. I got 24 more written recommendations!

Now, I was always "recommendable", right? I had been doing the same things for a long time, but I ASKED for that recommendation... and I got many!

So no, I don't buy into being "just" referrable and somehow the referrals will come. You need to be referrable first, but you also need to ask.

One strategy that helped with referrals is early in the conversation, say something like (modify to fit your personality)

If you're happy with the work I do, I'd like you to help me meet some more people like you.

Then, further down the line, "how do you feel about the work.....?

If positive, have a list of people they are likely to know. (I kept a list of faculty members when working the college 403b market. )

Find out who they know on the list and get permission to use their name. Having a list works better than just asking them to come up with names.

I am currently working a part-time job, trying to regain my personal financial cushion that took a hit during 2019. I have spent the past 2 months studying and learning all I can about this business and the products, strategies, and sales process, as well as how to successful in life in general. Then, in late February or early March, I plan to relaunch myself with leads, both bought and facebook generated. I plan to work my own system, traveling to several surrounding counties that include some larger towns, in order to reach my goals.

Are you willing to go door to door cold?

One strategy that helped with referrals is early in the conversation, say something like (modify to fit your personality)

If you're happy with the work I do, I'd like you to help me meet some more people like you.

Then, further down the line, "how do you feel about the work.....?

If positive, have a list of people they are likely to know. (I kept a list of faculty members when working the college 403b market. )

Find out who they know on the list and get permission to use their name. Having a list works better than just asking them to come up with names.

I plan to get referrals from my new leads. The people in my natural market tended to refer me to people that I already had on my natural market list.

Are you willing to go door to door cold?
Not really. I have always felt like that looks cheap. In my own town, you have to get a permit and your pictured posted on the city's Facebook page. I don't want to be on there with vacuum salesmen.

I have always felt like that looks cheap. In my own town, you have to get a permit and your pictured posted on the city's Facebook page. I don't want to be on there with vacuum salesmen.

Nothing wrong with being a salesman or saleswoman. We make the world go 'round. If every salesperson quit selling today, 90% of the country would be out of work inside of a month. 100% inside of year - probably less.

Good luck to you.

It helps to have a list of people they're likely to know when asking for referrals. People have varying discomforts with referrals. The list jogs their memory. "Any others....(fit to your personality)" helps too.

Your being reluctant to be seen as a salesman doesn't bode well. Nothing wrong with being a salesman who has integrity and knowledge.

Back