Being an added driver

Moving4ward

I am 47 and have 2 DUI convictions in the last 10 years. The last one was in 2014. I have been driving my parents car since 2016 as an added driver on my “parents” MetLife auto insurance policy.

As an added driver on their policy, does that count as a good thing in the future when I might purchase my own car and have my own policy in my name?

Say I purchase a car later this year, put it in my name and apply for my own policy. Do insurance companies consider my situation still a “lapse in coverage” even though I’ve been named on their policy and have had no incidents?

I am 47 and have 2 DUI convictions in the last 10 years. The last one was in 2014. I have been driving my parents car since 2016 as an added driver on my “parents” MetLife auto insurance policy.

As an added driver on their policy,

Are you sure you're an "added" driver? Have you seen the policy and confirmed that your name is on the declaration page as a listed driver? I can't imagine any insurance company accepting a driver with a DUI that was only 2 years old in 2016. At least not without a substantial surcharge.

Better check that out. If you've only been a permissive use driver all this time and your parents didn't tell the insurance company, they could lose their insurance if anything happened.

Do insurance companies consider my situation still a “lapse in coverage”

I wouldn't think so. Assuming you were actually a listed driver, you would list the policy information as requested on Page 2 of this sample application:

https://www.formsboss.com/pdf/90 PA.pdf

As for your DUI, here's something you should know. Insurance companies obtain driving records that run for the last 5 years and the applications usually ask about convictions during that period or less.

I suggest you obtain your 5 year record. If the DUI is still on it then wait until after the 5th anniversary (before you buy your own car) and make sure it's dropped off the 5 year record. Then you will probably qualify for standard or even preferred rates.

I’m definitely as a listed driver along with the car owner (father) and wife (mother). When I called and they added me I did question them as to me having duis and they didn’t seem to care for some reason. I think the lady I spoke with said that they may not even run my record anyways. It does seem odd but I’m listed there.

I think your advice on the 5 year mark to get a car is good.

Adding you to Monm and Dad's policy would not have included an MVR check in most cases and if you have kept clean since being added you slipped by underwriting. As Jack says, stay quiet for at least the 5 years past your last CONVICTION date, not the occurrence date, and the renewal date of the current policy.

You both indicate that 5 years is a cutoff date. Is the 5 year mark the time so that the insurance company won’t see any incidents or violations from my past in PA? I mean, when..say, Progressive pulls my driving record, they won’t look any farther than the 5 years.

I can't guarantee what any given insurance company does but if you get your 5 year record a couple of months after the 5 years are up and you don't see the DUI on it, then it's a good bet that the insurance company won't see it either.

Get a copy of your MVR. The 5 year timeframe that most carriers count the DUI or reckless/careless is from the date of the conviction, not the date of the ticket. So, if you took 6 months or 1 year to settle the case, you conviction date may not be 2014 when you think it was. Most carriers will insure you after DUI conviction is 3 years, but they charge for the points through 5 years.

Also, if you are merely a listed driver, the insurance agency shouldnt be talking to you about any of the details of the policy. Only the named insured on the policy can receive policy details or make changes

Allen,
If I remember right, when I was added to dad’s policy, I called and they talked to him and he agreed to let me speak to them and add me.

I served a house arrest charge in the spring of 2014 and the conviction was around March 2014. Looks like over 5 years. Thank you for the reply.

Back