Best Auto Home Carriers in MD??

wajiha

We are starting out as independent (we were previously captive) I do have some idea which companies to go for, but would really appreciate a little help deciding the carriers I need for Baltimore area?

Baltimore City or the county and suburbs? You will definitely need a non-standard home carrier like Foremost and Universal Property for inner city Baltimore. For packages I'm 80% Erie but I have Safeco who is not too competitive.

I'd say Erie for preferred auto and package then AIC or MAIF for the nonstandard stuff in MD.

Thanks I thought the same. Im working with erie for appointment but they take forever. I am also looking to hire agents and telemarketers, I have tried Craigslist and pennysaver, also indeed but no good results so far, can you advise me as to how to hire without breaking your bank :)

I found my current CSR on craiglist she used to work for State Farm. I only received 4 applications so I was lucky to find her. For producers, I have licensed agents who used to work for Allstate who now have fulltime jobs but maintained their license. They sell part time with me.

I would post on linkedin or reach out to agents and staff at your current captive carrier. You won't need much staff starting out I did everything alone for the first year. Finding good producers is tough if you don't pay a base salary etc.

how much of a base salary is attractive enough for an agent?

Depends on what area you are in. Down here in Montgomery County a newly licensed CSR is about $12/HR but experienced personal lines CSRs make $35k - $50k base with commercial lines up to $70k within some agencies.

For producers $25k-$40k base should do depending on your comp plan. I know some that make $40k with a monthly premium quota and no commission. Some do the $25k and offer 70% cut on new business and slowly do away with the salary after year 3 as renewals build. You could also do a draw for the first year or so.

Do what works for you and your budget you may be able to get talent to work for commssion only but I haven't seen that work out to well from what I've heard.

Back