Best City/State to Sell Med Supps

Roy2015

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Nevada
If any of you veterans could start your insurance career over again and you could pick any City/State in the country to sell primarily Med Supps and build your book, where would you go?

In terms of Med eligibles, Premiums prices, driving time, and cost of living. I'm in Las Vegas now but not convinced I want to stay here long term. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks

If any of you veterans could start your insurance career over again and you could pick any City/State in the country to sell primarily Med Supps and build your book, where would you go?

In terms of Med eligibles, Premiums prices, driving time, and cost of living. I'm in Las Vegas now but not convinced I want to stay here long term. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks

Gnome, Alaska Roy. Don't ask me why, it's just a feeling I've got.:err:

Seriously, I'd say to move to an area that has lots of old folks/retirees, but I'm sure other agents have thought of that too.

area that has lots of old folks/retirees

Florida and Arizona.

But FL is supposedly dominated by two carriers and most everyone buys MA.

Why move? Some agents sell all over the country without traveling or moving.

When I first started marketing Medicare Supplements - I thought I could find that magic city/state and just make a killing!

In my opinion, there is not 1 magic city/state but rather good and bad areas in every state.

I have a list of every county in the US that is 40% or less for Medicare advantage penetration percentage (if you don't see the county listed, it is ABOVE 40%).

I have found that 30% or less is optimal for Medicare Supplement marketing before you will start encountering too many MA plans.

Here is the link:

CHECK MEDICARE ADVANTAGE %

----------

Florida and Arizona.

But FL is supposedly dominated by two carriers and most everyone buys MA.

Why move? Some agents sell all over the country without traveling or moving.

I second this!

Sell remotely (Over the phone/internet).

Hey thanks for all of the responses guys. Yea I guess there are good areas in many different cities and states. I just wanted to hear some thoughts. I'm definitely trying to move in the direction of phone sales. I like the idea of being remote with the freedom to live anywhere. I know it is tougher to close deals on the phone but worth it in the end.

tougher to close deals on the phone

Used car sales people close deals.

A good insurance broker makes a sale.

A really good broker learns how to find the need and fill it. They allow the prospect to tell them what their concerns are, and offers solutions.

And if you are really, really good you don't have to close the sale. Your prospect will ask for your help in signing up for coverage.

My mentor says to go into areas with less than 25% MA Penetration. I get the info by county /state and then narrow it down to just those parameters.

When I first started marketing Medicare Supplements - I thought I could find that magic city/state and just make a killing!

In my opinion, there is not 1 magic city/state but rather good and bad areas in every state.

I have a list of every county in the US that is 40% or less for Medicare advantage penetration percentage (if you don't see the county listed, it is ABOVE 40%).

I have found that 30% or less is optimal for Medicare Supplement marketing before you will start encountering too many MA plans.

Here is the link:

CHECK MEDICARE ADVANTAGE %

I have updated this link with data from January 2017.

A couple changes:

- I retained all counties in the US (Even the ones above 40%)

- I added the # of Medicare eligibles in each county to give you an idea of the Medicare population per county.

Back