Best Companies to Start with when Opening a New Agency?

GoingIndy

Expert
I'm a former Allstate agent contemplating opening an independent agency in either NY or AZ.

I just wanted to know from those that have agencies in either state, what carriers would be good to start with to lay a foundation? I'm looking for a mix of both standard and non-standard carriers in order to provide something for every risk.

Thanks in advance.

I'm a former Allstate agent contemplating opening an independent agency in either NY or AZ.

I just wanted to know from those that have agencies in either state, what carriers would be good to start with to lay a foundation? I'm looking for a mix of both standard and non-standard carriers in order to provide something for every risk.

Thanks in advance.

Get on FSC (free trial if possible) and rate up several different risk profiles to see who is the most competitive in your area for both standard and non standard business. Every area is different. Travelers, Met Life and Mercury are consistently at the top for me in my area... but NY and AZ are different markets with much different filings.

I am only in the early stages of brainstorming my agency and don't have a comparative rater yet.

You have to get a rater. If you plan on doing any personal lines business at all. Or if you write through Superior access, they have EZylinks. Good luck with your start up!

Thanks in advance.
Check the appointments of your toughest competitors, whoever they are writing business for is evidently the one to beat. No reason to re-create the wheel if someone else has already done it.

Try insurance noodle. I believe they are inexpensive to join and you can write business through them until you get your feet wet and find out which companies work best for you in your area. Then you can get directly appointed with those companies that you like best.

Latest posts

Back