Best Company For Starting Insurance Sales Career?

ChasingPaper

Hey everyone, I'm 19 and thinking about getting into insurance sales. I already have my real estate license but selling insurance with commission renewals sounds very rewarding to me.

I'm looking for the best company to work for. (Training, Commission, Polices, Etc.)

I've got an interview with symmetry financial group tomorrow morning. Does anyone know if this is a good company?
( Glassdoor website says SFG has a rating of 4.8 stars out of 5 by 28 people, thoughts?)

I've also got an interview for NorthWestern Mutual in a few days if I dont go with SYG.

Please help!! I'm located in Oklahoma by the way!:GEEK:

Hey everyone, I'm 19 and thinking about getting into insurance sales. I already have my real estate license but selling insurance with commission renewals sounds very rewarding to me.

I'm looking for the best company to work for. (Training, Commission, Polices, Etc.)

I've got an interview with symmetry financial group tomorrow morning. Does anyone know if this is a good company?
( Glassdoor website says SFG has a rating of 4.8 stars out of 5 by 28 people, thoughts?)

I've also got an interview for NorthWestern Mutual in a few days if I dont go with SYG.

Please help!! I'm located in Oklahoma by the way!:GEEK:

Welcome to the Forum. Good luck.

http://www.insurance-forums.net/forum/life-insurance-forum/symmetry-financial-group-t17876.html

That's really cool that you got a thumbs up on your 1st post. :twitchy:

Hey everyone, I'm 19 and thinking about getting into insurance sales. I already have my real estate license but selling insurance with commission renewals sounds very rewarding to me. I'm looking for the best company to work for. (Training, Commission, Polices, Etc.) I've got an interview with symmetry financial group tomorrow morning. Does anyone know if this is a good company? ( Glassdoor website says SFG has a rating of 4.8 stars out of 5 by 28 people, thoughts?) I've also got an interview for NorthWestern Mutual in a few days if I dont go with SYG. Please help!! I'm located in Oklahoma by the way!:GEEK:

You'll likely hear from a lot of people that your age will be an obstacle. Probably even from some captive companies and prospects. However, I started my insurance career at age 19 with a captive company (that was 26 years ago this coming May). It certainly wasn't a company with the esteem of a Northwestern Mutual. It was a home service company. What it did for me was give me a small salary for servicing the book of business they gave me while also providing me training.

With any company your training is only as good as the local office. The type of product and clientele you'll deal with is important. Right or wrong, you may have more of a challenge getting some 55+ year old to relinquish his retirement savings to your control or talk with you about the more complex life cases that many Northwestern Mutual reps deal with. But if you can get by for a few years while learning from a successful Northwestern rep, that could be very good. You could likely put New York Life in the same category.

I've been independent so long I'm just not familiar with how the captive companies pay anymore (i.e. - salary, benefits, etc). I'm sure some others will come along with more details and specifics.

Best of luck.

You'll likely hear from a lot of people that your age will be an obstacle. Probably even from some captive companies and prospects. However, I started my insurance career at age 19 with a captive company (that was 26 years ago this coming May). It certainly wasn't a company with the esteem of a Northwestern Mutual. It was a home service company. What it did for me was give me a small salary for servicing the book of business they gave me while also providing me training.

With any company your training is only as good as the local office. The type of product and clientele you'll deal with is important. Right or wrong, you may have more of a challenge getting some 55+ year old to relinquish his retirement savings to your control or talk with you about the more complex life cases that many Northwestern Mutual reps deal with. But if you can get by for a few years while learning from a successful Northwestern rep, that could be very good. You could likely put New York Life in the same category.

I've been independent so long I'm just not familiar with how the captive companies pay anymore (i.e. - salary, benefits, etc). I'm sure some others will come along with more details and specifics.

Best of luck.

You've both got me beat...I started at age 20.

You'll likely hear from a lot of people that your age will be an obstacle. Probably even from some captive companies and prospects. However, I started my insurance career at age 19 with a captive company (that was 26 years ago this coming May). It certainly wasn't a company with the esteem of a Northwestern Mutual. It was a home service company. What it did for me was give me a small salary for servicing the book of business they gave me while also providing me training. With any company your training is only as good as the local office. The type of product and clientele you'll deal with is important. Right or wrong, you may have more of a challenge getting some 55+ year old to relinquish his retirement savings to your control or talk with you about the more complex life cases that many Northwestern Mutual reps deal with. But if you can get by for a few years while learning from a successful Northwestern rep, that could be very good. You could likely put New York Life in the same category. I've been independent so long I'm just not familiar with how the captive companies pay anymore (i.e. - salary, benefits, etc). I'm sure some others will come along with more details and specifics. Best of luck.

I got a false start, not as young as you, but pretty young. I started with MetLife. I may have done better, but I was new in town & didn't know anybody, so no "warm market". I learned about the home service system from a friend who had done that, and switched to Independent Life. It was a gift from God. I got a small base pay to service the existing clients. But more importantly I had existing clients! This gave me opportunities to review coverage with them, selling many, and opportunities to network out from them. If the OP is in Oklahoma, (and if that sounds interesting), I'd see if there is an American National office in the area. I've never worked for them, but I know several agents. They seem to be the closest thing out there to the old home service captive agency system. (There's also Kemper Home Service, aka Reliable, but I wouldn't rank them nearly as high on my professional opinion scale.)

I got a false start, not as young as you, but pretty young. I started with MetLife. I may have done better, but I was new in town & didn't know anybody, so no "warm market". I learned about the home service system from a friend who had done that, and switched to Independent Life. It was a gift from God. I got a small base pay to service the existing clients. But more importantly I had existing clients! This gave me opportunities to review coverage with them, selling many, and opportunities to network out from them. If the OP is in Oklahoma, (and if that sounds interesting), I'd see if there is an American National office in the area. I've never worked for them, but I know several agents. They seem to be the closest thing out there to the old home service captive agency system. (There's also Kemper Home Service, aka Reliable, but I wouldn't rank them nearly as high on my professional opinion scale.)
United Insurance Company of America seems to be a good home service company.. A friend of mine is a manager with them and another friend that retired from AGLA took a debit with them.. He says it is the easiest money he has ever made.

United Insurance Company of America seems to be a good home service company.. A friend of mine is a manager with them and another friend that retired from AGLA took a debit with them.. He says it is the easiest money he has ever made.

In Oklahoma, that's Reliable Life. The Kemper Home Service group took over everything that used to be under Unitrin as far as debit companies go. I worked for United in Virginia for a couple of years & did really well there. But then I transferred to Reliable in Texas, and it was a terrible experience. But it may have changed, as the RVP that was there at the time is no longer there, and I hear positive reports from Reliable agents since Kemper took over. So maybe they'd be a good choice, too.

Back