Best Guaranteed UL Carriers

loginname

Expert
I have a case for a 59 yr old male. He has $15,000 in cash in an old UL that will lapse in 12-15 years (we ran inforce illustrations). He is paying $600 year and the death benefit is $100,000. He should be preferred non-nicotine.

Who are you seeing as the best pricing for guaranteed UL in this scenario? So far it looks like West Coast and Hartford are best. Anyone else I should consider? Midland?

Not sure how it compares to the others, but Penn Mutual comes in at $493/year to age 121, $100,000 DB, Preferred N/S, with a $15,000 1035 dump-in.

Preferably last to 105 or 110. I've found Midland will guarantee $108,000 DB to 120 with the $600/year and $15k 1035. They also have the built in chronic illness rider (accelerated DB for LTC type need). Hartford is at $103,000 and West Coast is $106,000. Neither of those have the chronic illness rider. Hartford has it available, but then the DB drops below $100k.

I'll have Penn Mutual run a quote with the $600/yr, but at this point it looks like Midland may be the best bet.

Anyone have any issues with Midland underwriting or service? I've never used them for life. Target is a little lower than others, but I'll accept that if it is better for the client. The local GA said he'd give me a 90% payout on the guaranteed UL and 95% on some other UL product (not sure of the name).

Thanks all

Just my opinion, but I would second the Penn Mutual suggestion hands down.

Penn will also do $108,000 of GUL for $600 per year at pref non-smoker with a $15,000 1035. This is guaranteed to age 121. Penn has a preferred plus rating that is obviously even better than this premium. One other note, Penn's chronic-illness rider(no extra cost) will pay for some long-term care costs, I don't know of another Chronic-illness rider that is as liberal as theirs.

Penn's payout is 90% on this product. May or may not be important but Penn's GUL is pretty unique in that it is a "current assumption GUL". What this means is that the interest rate that is credited to cash-values is not simply the "guaranteed rate". Penn is currently paying 5% on their GUL.

On a GUL I feel you should strongly consider financial ratings of the insurance company. You'll find that Penn Mutual is one of the more highly rated carriers out there.

Last edited:
Isn't there a niffty online service agents can use to compare quotes for GUL products very quickly.

I had one of my BGAs use winflex, but winflex does not include all the carriers in the market. Most, but not all.

Take a look at Genworth's Genguard. Also, the Colony Term UL is very competitive, but max guarantee would be 30 years.

I have attached a pretty vanilla comparison, showing an example of carriers with no lapse UL to 121 in Compulife.

Genworth currently offers coverage to 100 or 105, and is not in the comparison.

Attachments

• No Lapse UL to 121.PDF
    27.7 KB · Views: 42
Back