Best Insurance For.....

crifever

Family with 2 drivers, had an accident 3.5 years ago but my current insurance company still charges me a hefty premium. No other tickets or violations since that incident. Looking for options for other insurance companies that look at just 3 years of history and not 5 years or beyond.

Any recommendations?

Best thing to do is shop it. There isn't really one carrier that's going to be the best. Auto ratings can vary based on tons of things, age, credit, and of course driving history. You should be able to find an independent agent that can shop it for you. Be sure to talk to an agency directly vs filling out any quote forms online.

What state are you in?

other than the comment about not filling out online quote forms (that part doesn't make any difference), I agree with Josh.

there is no one company that is always going to come out the best for everyone. and while some companies only go back 3 years for at fault accidents and others go back 5, there are also some in between companies who go back 5 years but lessen the premium impact after 3 years.

The more companies you get a quote with, the better your chances of finding the lowest rate.

other than the comment about not filling out online quote forms (that part doesn't make any difference), I agree with Josh.

there is no one company that is always going to come out the best for everyone. and while some companies only go back 3 years for at fault accidents and others go back 5, there are also some in between companies who go back 5 years but lessen the premium impact after 3 years.

The more companies you get a quote with, the better your chances of finding the lowest rate.

If they talk to an agent first it can help avoid them getting called by 5 agents a day for a month. Nothing against filling out a quote form online intrinsically, but if it's on an auto lead gen site where it gets sold a bunch most consumers don't care for it.

Family with 2 drivers, had an accident 3.5 years ago but my current insurance company still charges me a hefty premium. No other tickets or violations since that incident. Looking for options for other insurance companies that look at just 3 years of history and not 5 years or beyond.

Any recommendations?

It all depends on the Insurance company..but most look at 3 years other look at 5 unless DUI some look at 7. Also they use different tier for rates. So it better to talk to independent insurance agent and they can shop for the best rate for you. Good Luck:cool::yes:

If they talk to an agent first it can help avoid them getting called by 5 agents a day for a month. Nothing against filling out a quote form online intrinsically, but if it's on an auto lead gen site where it gets sold a bunch most consumers don't care for it.

I thought you were talking about agent websites, not lead gen sites. It makes no difference to me whether someone calls wanting a quote or goes online.

but the easy way for a customer to avoid lead gen sites is simply not to quote with any site that doesn't have an agent's NAP.

----------

..... DUI some look at 7.

wow! 7 years? must be an ultra preferred carrier.

I'm not sure I've ever seen an MVR report back that far.

With most auto insurance companies, the biggest impact of the accident on your rates is the surcharge for three years (or 6 six-month renewal periods) after the accident, and is no longer a factor at all after 5 years. Accidents are used as a rating factor, but most of the higher cost comes from an at-fault accident surcharge (usually a 35% -40% increase over the base rates).

If you are around 3.5 years from the accident, this may be the last renewal for the large accident surcharge. Check with your current company, to see if your rates will drop significantly at renewal.

For example, if the date of your accident was 1/1/2011, and your renewal dates are 1/15 & 7/15 each year, the accident surcharge was not assessed until your 7/15/2011 renewal, and the surcharge would end at your 7/15/2014 renewal.

Since the accident is over three years, you won't get the accident surcharge with other auto insurance companies quoting you now, even if an accident over three years, but within 5 years, has an effect on the rates.

The problem with this is a company may seem like it has a better rate for you, when its really just timing of the accident surcharge. You may find a company saving you $100 every 6 months without the accident surcharge, but if the company you have now lowers your rate by $150 at your next renewal once the accident surcharge is removed, the company you have now is the better deal.

You definitely want to shop with several agents & companies, because you'll see a big difference in the price auto insurance companies charge for the same coverage, even without any accidents or tickets in the last 5 years. But you should check with your current company to find out when to expect lower rates, because its unusual for an accident over three years to still have a big impact on your rates.

----------

wow! 7 years? must be an ultra preferred carrier.

I'm not sure I've ever seen an MVR report back that far.

It depends on state law. In Oregon, I think it's six years for a DUI, but that's for eligibility, not rating, at a company's discretion.

Back