Best Opportunities for New Captive Agents

insurlegend

Expert
Hello all,
I am looking to become an agent selling mostly P & C and some life with a captive company so I can gain experience and then determine which route I would like to go. Do you all have any recommendations on which company would be a good place to start. I have heard from Goosehead, State Farm, and Progressive and was hoping someone on here would have some input. Thank you.

For a captive State Farm is a good choice, you'll learn what you need to run an agency. Independent offers a much broader upside. The major difference is that a captive will offer more support but you'll be paying for it with lower commission and constant oversight. If you go Indie all the training is available online, you can find support and guidance from many industry groups but you must be a self starter. If you have in mind to go captive for training and then switch just remember you'll be starting over and you have a non-compete to contend with.

MetLife! It's one of the few that pays a salary plus pays your office setup costs. You are also an employee, not a contractor, so you get healthcare, dental and a pension. I am quite happy with my setup. In addition to Met, I am appointed with progressive and other companies including amfam. I can offer a bunch of life companies too, Mass, MOO, Prudential etc. They give us plenty of leads. We also have group events, you get to go to an employer benefit fairs and sign people up for payroll deducted home and auto. You can pm me if you have questions.

I don't know if they are in your area. American National has good Life, Auto, and Home Insurance. I have no idea what their pay rate is at the moment.

Back