Best Organization to Go with for a Independent Life Agent?

Kat007

Expert
I'm somewhat experienced in life insurance. I was in it a few years ago but I moved to a different state and stopped selling. Now I'm getting back into it and I was wondering if you know of a few possible organizations where I can hang my hat at?

Somewhere with top contract levels and some training/support and also the ability to build a team later. I was at 90% with HBW before and I'm sitting on the fence of whether I want to sign up with them again or not. I started with primerica then went to NAA and ended up at HBW. I called them but haven't heard back yet.

I'm in the state of Hawaii. I looked at and interviewed with a few captive agencies and they weren't for me. I was at Guardian Life and asking questions and before I knew it they were pushing paperwork at me to sign up and made me write a check for $85 to the GA (which they said wouldn't be cashed) and that it was to hold my spot and to prove I was serious. And after all the strong arm tactics, they were going to hold my licensing test score and paperwork etc. when I said I wasn't sure and needed to think about it. Then I just grabbed my license test score and got out of there and before I knew it the check was cashed. What a shaddy office! I'm upset about that and I would never work at a place that has to force people to stay. I should have grabbed the check and other paperwork too but the manager had the folder and wouldn't hand it to me and I pulled my licensing test score paper out so I can go file it myself downtown. It was a really crappy experience.

Last edited:
Kat,

I have some partners that are writing and also have agents in Hawaii that are writing. I can assure you that there are no "strong arm" tactics involved with them. They both have an eclectic background in Finance; one with Merrill Lynch and N.Y. Life and the other is an incredible lady who was with Citi's Financial Services team in Singapore before becoming an independent producer several years ago.

They are both amazing and I could put you in touch with them if you're looking for some support.

Cheers!

Are they all independent agents? Which company or organization do they work through? Is the manager or producers hitting high numbers? What is the % contract rates they are offering recruits and what carriers are they contracted with? Thanks!

I went to one insurance office where the guys were making 2-3k and struggling and I was thinking that they didn't know what they were doing. I don't want some manager training me on his system if they can't hit the numbers. And I found some good lead sources and I can do my own prospecting. I only need support and will call if I have a question or problem with the products or the clients. I'm low maintenance. But I want my calls answered when I call, not returned 2-3 days later because if I call then it's a product question or something important that takes like 10-15 mins.

I don't want to be captive and I've gone to several interviews already. NYL won't work. AIL has leads for agents of people in labor unions to offer them a free $1k accidental policy and they have been called to death and you work 60 hrs to try to make 40k year. Huge turnover rate.

Kat, contact this IMO: "Carrier Contracting Services" (www.carriercontracting.com). They service Hawaii, and have several independent agents there. They also have tons of carriers available, with contracts up to 120%+ for some carriers.

They also have been known to find agents of theirs who live near you, and who are willing to take on a new agent without taking half of their commission at the same time.

It sounds like you just need an honest upline to work with....tough to find in this industry, unfortunately.

Email me directly using the link in my signature below if you have any other questions.:)

Justin, I'm looking into it right now. Thanks for the tip. They look interesting so far. :-)

Back