Best Rates for Someone with an Alarm?

To be honest there are so many other factors that go into a home quote that it would be silly to say one company is going to more competitive then another because they have a higher discount on alarm.

The house your insuring could be the White House with security guards all around the perimeter but if the insured has bad credit company A wont like him, if he had a claim company B will tell him to pound sand, if the replacement cost is high...you get my point.

To be honest there are so many other factors that go into a home quote that it would be silly to say one company is going to more competitive then another because they have a higher discount on alarm.

The house your insuring could be the White House with security guards all around the perimeter but if the insured has bad credit company A wont like him, if he had a claim company B will tell him to pound sand, if the replacement cost is high...you get my point.

I am aware of the small factor that an alarm is compared to the other aspects of the policy, but I still am looking from that angle for another business avenue. So that remains what I want to know. I appreciate your input.

I bet this is a security guy. The discount will never even come close to covering the cost of a security system, in fact it typically won't even cover 1 month. I know many security people who misrepresent what the savings really is.

I worked with 2 who were good at getting leads & we'd end up saving the homeowner money on their insurance which would help them get the homeowner to spend that money on a system.

Either way...us insurance guys won't be able to do much for ya other then save them money in general on their home/auto insurance.

Annnndd I just saw the signature. On a positive note...security sales people make a nice payday on each system!

I bet this is a security guy. The discount will never even come close to covering the cost of a security system, in fact it typically won't even cover 1 month. I know many security people who misrepresent what the savings really is.

I worked with 2 who were good at getting leads & we'd end up saving the homeowner money on their insurance which would help them get the homeowner to spend that money on a system.

Either way...us insurance guys won't be able to do much for ya other then save them money in general on their home/auto insurance.

Annnndd I just saw the signature. On a positive note...security sales people make a nice payday on each system!

You are correct. I am an alarm guy and I love it when I get leads from insurance agents because I close probably around 70% of them.

Using the discount on the home owners is usually bad marketing because with the cost of the monitoring over the year will be more then the savings, but if someone is going to get an alarm anyway, they might as well save a bit on it.

I try to be a nice guy and I give out $200 for good referrals so agents like to use me, but I am here to learn more about the home owners side of insurance.

What exactly are you trying to learn then? There's surely something more you're ultimately trying to get at besides discount %'s of every carrier out there. You're pretty likely to get answers here, but I'm not certain we've heard the right question.

Alarm discounts are one of those ultimately inconsequential factors in my experience. You can spend a fair amount of time underwriting and verifying these details, but if I get any pushback from a carrier wanting verification I tend to leave it alone, because it's simply not worth it. 12 dollars a year won't be the determining factor in whether I close a sale, but let someone get a 12 dollar increase notice because underwriting wanted but didn't get an alarm certificate, and it's a different story.

It doesn't really bother me if you do or don't have so ulterior motive. Help us give you an answer that's more useful to you.

Maybe he is interested in which company provides the deepest alarm discount so he can market to agents who represent that company.

Rather than try to sell on discount check your target city's crime statistics and sell based on the number if home invasions in the area and that home has a 70% chance of not being invaded with an alarm.

Selling on discounts or price is like a drug addiction. When rates go up (and they always do) and you're not the lowest price, the withdrawal symptoms for not discounting again are too severe.

Sell on how your system can save a family's life -- Which is priceless. Use the homeowner discount as an extra smile you leave on their face after you close the sale.

Last edited:
Back